Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other How to make a site like Invision Free or Proboards?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Reptar

Is it really hard to make a site like invision free or proboards? Where you have created forums where people sign up and make their own forum off of your website free to them but you have ads on all of their forums that you collect money off of? Is there a certain type of coding to use? If I wanted to make something like this where would I begin?

Ian G
    Participant

Do you want to create a single forum like the one here at CSS-Tricks or you mean actually create a full forum-hosting system? The former is easy but the latter would be fairly complex. Any old CMS (content management system) would give you the ability to make a single forum and there are stand alone forum packages as well. No idea how you would go about making and hosting a mix your own flavor forum site, but I’ll put on my spelunking hat and speculate about what it would take. Yeah, I know spelunking is exploring caves, but whatever, sounded funny when I thought of it :) .

This is all guesswork and someone else probably knows far more than I do, but here goes. You would need to be able to give the users permission to create their own forums (not a big deal), but the tricky part is allowing theming controls to be accessible to the users (a much bigger deal.) You probably would also need at least a Virtual Private Server to host the site, which would be a step up cost-wise but give you memory and bandwidth you’d need. Dedicated forum software might be the way to go, or you could try with an open source CMS, but I think you are in for some tweaking of any of these options if you want forum members to be able to theme their own forums.

krashkidd25

I would like to know how to make a single forum just like the one on this page!! Any help would be great.

chrisburton
    Participant

@krashkidd25 You mean this site as in CSS-Tricks? http://vanillaforums.com

krashkidd25

yeah, just like what we are using now to reply to each other, i just want to post something and have people reply to it like we are doing now.

chrisburton
    Participant

@krashkidd25 Oops. I just remembered it’s like WordPress. http://vanillaforums.org

krashkidd25

Thanks for the information!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.