Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other How to Learn Photoshop from the Ground Up?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    daveslab

Hi everyone,

I’m a web guy like you folks, but where I work, I am the PSD-to-HTML/CSS guy and not the creative type who actually tries designing. Seeing Chris work his magic in Photoshop looks really fun and I really would like to learn to further my skillset, but the topic seems so vast that I am scared to start.

Here’s my question: what is a good complete resource to learn Photoshop skills for web design for someone who has little to no experience with it? i.e. How did you guys/gals learn it to start with?

Thanks for any and all help!

mikes

Don’t let photoshop intimidate you. It is a huge program with tons of features but you don’t need to know them all to be productive. In fact, with just a very few commands you can do a great deal of work. I learned it simply by playing with it at first. Use the selection tool to select an area of screen and then fill it in. Use edit|stroke to draw a line around it. Go to filters and just start applying filters to see what they do. Just familiarize yourself with simple commands like that to get used to where things are in the menus and start learning the shortcut keys. As you go you’ll get a feel for what it can do and that will prompt more exploration.

Once you are comfortable with using layers and such, google photshop tutorials. There are tons of them out there with step by step walk throughs of how to accomplish various effects. Bookmark the cool stuff! I hate it when I need an effect and know I’ve seen it somewhere but have no idea where. There are also tons of classes for all sorts of levels. A lot of them are one day hands-on classes.

The big thing is to just play with it. And if money’s an issue, look for an older version. I use v7 which must be at least 10 years old. I’ve yet to hear of anything in newer versions that I can’t live without.

hth

Toby Pitman
    Participant

I agree with Cybershot. A Lynda subscription is well worth the money if your starting out learning any sort of software programme, especially something as massive as Photoshop. I’ve learn’t loads of stuff from there. Watching somebody do it on video is a great way to learn.

They have courses that go from the most basic stuff to really complex masking techniques and everything in between.

Just learning how to use the Pen tool properly will progress your design skills no end.

yamunatri

Okay friends, I need to print out a lot of papers for school – doesn’t much need the color function. Will a laser printer save me money on cartridges over time? I have heard that a laser printer doesn’t do color or color photos well, but the laser powder cartridges can produce many more pages than a regular ink printer using an ink cartridge. Is it true? I need you opinion. Should I get a laser printer or a ink printer?

femina

I have a self portrait of Paul Lassalle that I bought in a little art shop in Tampa, Florida around 1980-1981.On the back of the picture is a paper filled out by the artist. It gives exhibition information, addresses, etc. I love this picture, even though I’ve been told by one person that he gives her the creeps! Does he have any type of following? Where can I find more of is work, and how do you correctly pronounce his name? Thank you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.