Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other How to host demo sites for a portfolio of web designs?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mitso
    Participant

Hey guys,

I have built some websites to display as my portfolio, but they are not for any clients or anyone as I used ficticious businesses to create them, because I have not had any real clients yet.

Now Im not sure what would be the best way to host them for live demos to show the visitors of my site, and also avoid having robots ranking them on search engines.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks for your help!

Paulie_D

Assuming you already have a site I would just allocate each example to its own subfolder and put the relevant assets in there. I believe that’s the normal way.

/demos/item-1

/demos/item-2

As for hiding them from robots etc. then you can specify in your robots.txt file to ignore the demos directory. That will do most of the work for you.

chrisburton
    Participant

From reading another discussion, I don’t think robots.txt alone will do the trick. You will have to use a meta tag for nofollow.

Paulie_D

Yeah I was trying to find that discussion but failed.

Paulie_D

Ah…found the article in question: http://yoast.com/prevent-site-being-indexed/

tomrogers123

If you need them to be on separate domains, you might want to look into [Media Temple’s Grid Service plan](http://mediatemple.net/webhosting/gs/ “”). This allows you to host up to 100 domains on the same account and, unlike some other shared options, they aren’t just redirects but can operate as entirely separate entities undetectable by the end user. Should you decide to go with this, I would urge you to make it clear that the sites are just examples of your abilities – you don’t want to begin client relationships under false pretenses.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.