Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End How to Convert to WordPress?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    NoizyCr1cket
    Participant

Hi. I’d like to eventually start a blog on my website so I figured I’d use WordPress for it. However, after thinking about it, I thought it would be great to have my whole website converted to a WordPress template so that I can get experience with it as well as ease of editing the site. I’ve looked at a few different tutorials online but it seems like they only focus on a header.php, sidebar.php, and footer.php layout which makes it difficult to learn from them because my website is in a different layout than that. I would like my blog page(s) to be a header, content, sidebar, and footer layout though. Can anyone help me convert this website to a WordPress theme? http://gchiller.com

Thanks.

Alen
    Participant

Don’t confuse WordPress templates: header.php, sidebar.php, and ect., as layout/graphical representation of your website. These files are about HTML document structure, not layout. You can moch-up your page however you like.

header.php – from html doctype to body tag

index.php – from body tag to footer tag

footer.php – from footer tag to end of document

Then your index.php would require all the necessary parts to form HTML document, like so…

// beginning of index.php

// your layout, html that makes up your app
    // look into WordPress loop, it’s what interacts with the database and get’s all the appropriate data into the template.

//end of index.php

Actually, you can just have index.php and your style.css file and your site will work. See [Template Hierarchy](http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy).

Hope that helps

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.