Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other How to begin teaching web design?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Webnet

I’m 25 and I’m going to be teaching a 9th grader about web development. I hope to get him started on HTML/CSS and quickly move into PHP/MySQL. I’m self taught. I’m looking for materials/resources that would help. Sites that have videos and perhaps assignments/tasks would be great!

TheDoc

What do you mean by ‘quickly move into PHP/MySQL’? You could spend months and months just focusing on HTML and CSS to become truly proficient.

I would look at Lynda.com or the new Treehouse website (see the top right of this website for the link). Both are paid services.

Webnet

My goal is to get him started in these areas so he knows enough to move on and begin teaching himself and expanding his knowledge.

Treehouse is more geared towards designers, his area of interest is in programming.

hero

One assignment I had my students do was mock up a Newspaper page because it teaches them the different sections of a page. Later, you can revisit that page with them and teach them how to style it with css or lay it out with a grid system (www.960.gs) or additional css rules.

Also, its wonderful you are starting him at such a young age. He will have plenty of time to develop the skills you show him out.

chrisburton
    Participant

@webnet Treehouse is more geared toward designers? Are you saying that because the site is well designed? They focus on development more than design.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.