Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS How to add a holding page in front of a domain

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I have set up a holding page to announce a new version of a website coming soon.

I wanted people to still be able to access the original site, so my approach was to place the holding page in the root folder on the server, and move the original site to a subfolder and link to it from the holding page.

However, on testing this setup it appears to have hurt the SEO placing of the website. Is there a better approach to this? I’m a bit stumped as I want both to share the same url.

Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

TheDoc

This isn’t my expertise so I can’t give you any specifics, but I would assume you’d simply use cookies to determine whether or not a user has already seen the hold page. Once they’ve seen it and click through to the old site you can set a cookie and deliver them a different page.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m thinking for simplicity sake I might add the new landing page as a page within the existing site, but style it differently. So far I’ve got it working but it loads after the main page. I’ve posted here with info if anyone’s interested.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17420694/how-to-make-js-page-redirect-trigger-before-page-load

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.