Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other How much would you guys price for this e-commerce

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    theplastickid
    Participant

I’m having a bit of trouble pricing for an e-commerce site built on WP E-commerce.
    Just curious to see what other people would charge to see if I am offering a fair price it would need to include the following:

• Custom theme
    • Stock Control
    • Postage Calculations
    • Merchant Setup (paypal and credit cards)
    • 20 initial products (need to be updated by site admin easily)
    • On site SEO (keyword consideration and good clean code mainly)
    • A mailing list
    • Links to display products within a specific price range
    • Social sharing
    • Categories and Sub Categories

I come up with $1000 all included including years hosting and domain.

Arkitekt
    Participant

I would probably charge more than that.

How did you come up with that number? Are you estimating your time and then multiplying times a dollar amount? Are you putting a lump sum on each feature?

For instance I would charge at least $40 per product as far as eCommerce goes, that equals $800 right off the bat.

I would then charge prolly $200 for the custom theme, stock control $100, merchant setup $250, mailing list $50, social $50….

Just glancing at your program I would say that I would be charging more like $1,500 to start, but i would assess if there was anything else I needed to include in that price.

Also, consider how much you will charge them to host for a year and put that in the price.

TheDoc

Completely depends on where you are located (cost of living), what your experience is, the quality of your work, etc.

The quote that I might give out has nothing to do with what you might quote. To give you an example, though, I’d probably start at $1,500 and go up from there.

Unlike Arkitekt, there is absolutely no way I would charge ‘per product’ and $200 for a custom theme would be a joke. For any WordPress project my two biggest items in the quote would be design and development (development time is calculated by the number of templates, not the number of pages or items in the site). They could have 1000 products or 50 products, what matters to me is the complexity of the templates.

Arkitekt
    Participant

Hmmm… I use the per-product as a basis for me to estimate the cost. I do not give that number to the client. I then would usually estimate the amount of time I think the project would take me, and then divide it into my lump sum estimate to assess what my dollars/hour amount looks like.

For instance if I figure that my lump sum amount is 1500 and that my estimated amount of time would be 80 hours that would mean that I am making $18.75 an hour, and I need to decide if that is worth it for the work.

I agree with the Doc though that it does matter about where you live, and the quality of your work.

theplastickid
    Participant

This is for a family friend so I put myself on an OK but lowish day wadge of £70 a day I then worked out how many days this would take me to complete all of the things that needed doing and come up with my total. I think I am undercutting myself a little though I should probably quote more like $1200 dollars because I think I have defiantly under estimated the design phase.

Very interesting to get other people takes on this kind of pricing though, would love to hear some more estimations from other members.

TheDoc

Charging on a per-page basis (even if the client doesn’t see it) is an archaic and outdated system in a world where we are using CMSs. A site could have 10 templates and a million pages or a hundred pages, it really doesn’t change how much I would charge.

Now, if I were also being hired for content migration, that would be a completely separate item in the quote.

@theplastickid
    – I would ignore the per day wage, you should definitely always do quotes in hours.

standuncan

I think that sounds crazy low. Maybe because of where I am located, but I charge more than that for simple small static business site. CMS, goes up from there. E-commerce (thought I haven’t done one yet) would even add on top of that. I don’t think I would attempt something like that for under $3k-4k, (without the family member/friend thing being thrown in the mix).

I would also never charge on a per page rate. Like @TheDoc said, my largest prtion goes into design and development. After that ,if it happens to be a 1000 page site and lots of content needs to be added, then I would charge more. But the site itself I usually take an average hourly rate and try to hesitate my total time and start with that price quote.

Arkitekt
    Participant

hmmm. i guess i am out numbered here.

I believe i must need to re-address how i do my website pricing.

It has never been a problem for me, but now I am doubting my system.

All the best,

clark

chrisburton
    Participant

Pricing also depends on your skill level. Just because someone else is charging a price does not mean you should.

chrisrymer

I’d be inclined to agree with the last comment (and others) £1000 is too low. I started out as a hobbyist doing projects for the sub £1000 market and it never works out. You always end up out of pocket..

The biggest mistake I made was not taking in to account the time for planning and rolling the first years hosting in to the development. I suppose it depends on the project stock value and estimated Return of investment as much as the complexity of the site.

Always use a contract too and make sure that it is clear what your obligations are to each other and in an ideal world agree a 50% deposit.

If you provide hosting provide them with an SLA or beter still encourage them to pay for their own hosting and charge them a management fee to look after the server for them. Then they can’t kick your ass when (not if) they loose service for 10 minutes on a sunday night.

It does depend on the quality of your work but that doesn’t mean you should end up out of pocket

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.