Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS how many fonts should i use in a website?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rajinder S. GIll
    Participant

Hi,

I just want to know, how many font’s we can use in new fresh design.

Actually i am making one new design. I’d always used three/four font’s, which i think
    it’s too many.

In-fact if you can send me some link ‘s with good typography website, so i can understand better.

Thanks in advance :-)

Rihan Terence

chrisburton
    Participant

> In-fact if you can send me some link ‘s with good typography website, so i can understand better

The amount of fonts used on a site doesn’t mean they’re using good judgement on the overall usage. What is looking at someone’s website going to do for you regarding typography?

chrisburton
    Participant

Sometimes you need at least four fonts depending on the design. Some webfonts do not come with specific styles.

+ true small caps
    + swashes
    + true italics
    + etc.

TreeRoot
    Participant

I would use whatever will make your design look good while not hindering performance. If you’re embedding fonts or pulling them from a resource such as google web fonts or typekit, you need to be careful not to overdo it as the more fonts you add the bigger the download size.

Also be aware of your audience and the platforms they using. If you need to still need to cater to IE7-8 be aware that some embedded fonts can have rendering problems/failures in those browsers. Make sure you test and workaround them, as workarounds do exist.

Finally, you didn’t distinguish between multiple font families or multiple font weights. You could pick one good font family and load different weights (Light, Book, Bold, Black, etc) instead of choosing several entirely different font families.

Try googling “font combinations” for some inspiration.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.