Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS How long did it take you to learn all the computer languages you know today?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I got into coding about 9 months ago and don’t feel like i have learned as many languages as i should have. In the 9 months that i’ve been teaching myself computer languages, I only learned HTML5, CSS3, and alittle Jquery. I have a friend who self-taught 5 languages in he first year. I’m asking this because i want to see how i stack up with everyone else.

TheDoc

I’ve been doing this as a hobby for about ten years and professionally for the last five or so. It takes a lot of time and effort to become truly comfortable with different languages.

> I have a friend who self-taught 5 languages in he first year.

Lots of people can bullshit their way through a bunch of languages, doesn’t mean they are any good at it.

Alen
    Participant

> I’m asking this because i want to see how i stack up with everyone else.

Don’t compare your level of skill vs. the masses. You will become to critical of your own abilities and this will prevent you from learning and trying new things. Just keep learning. Stick to one language at a time until you get solid working base, then it becomes easier to branch out to other languages. It’s all programming, it’s all relatively the same.

**Everything is hard before it’s easy**. It just takes time, so take it in at your own pace. If you try to do too much you’ll burn out.

> self-taught 5 languages in [his] first year

Don’t believe people who say things like this. People in general like to exaggerate. Some more than others.

> How long did it take you to learn all the computer languages you know today?

I’ve been doing this since 2000. And have solid knowledge of HTML, CSS, PHP/MySQL… I’m learning jQuery/JavaScript as those two are not my forte. And recently I’ve picked up Ruby/Ruby on Rails (which was super easy to pick up).

> 9 months

9 month… is nothing… every year there’s new things to learn, even for the languages you already know… it never ends… I had to relearn HTML all over again… when I was in school we used tables… remember those… ha!

Hope that helps,

Alen

Kuzyo
    Participant

hi, @Jarolin here you can find some answers http://net.tutsplus.com/articles/general/the-11-phases-of-a-web-developers-career-as-illustrated-by-memes/

I’m studing only 8-9month and know as many as you (HTML5, CSS3, and start to learn JS).

@AlenAbdula
    9 month… is nothing… every year there’s new things to learn, even for the languages you already know… it never ends…

certainly agree, it’s the main thing in programming that i loved from the first, you have to improve you skills every time

P.s. I have some additional problem – my English )))

Alen
    Participant

English is my second language as well. Originally from Bosnia, now in Boston.

CrocoDillon
    Participant

> I only learned HTML5, CSS3, and alittle Jquery.

I think you could have skipped the word ‘only’ here. Those 3 you mention are a handful… this saying comes to mind “easy to learn but difficult to master” :)

> I have a friend who self-taught 5 languages in he first year.

Total BS. It’s been mentioned before but knowing the syntax doesn’t mean you know the ins and outs of a language.

I think I started studying computer science in 2008. Since then I got comfortable enough with Java, C#, PHP, ActionScript3, and JavaScript, the last 3 self-taught. Learned the basics of a bunch of others which I already forgot how to use like Assembly, C and weird languages like Haskell.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I understand what you all mean and most of it makes sense.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.