Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other How "done" does a site need to be to go live?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

We all know that websites are NEVER done.

So… how done does one have to be to go live?

Is support in the 4 major browser’s current versions enough?

What quirks are you willing to overlook to get a site launched?

Senff
    Participant

Browser support depends on the client. Some want IE7 support, others are fine with IE9 and up.

I’d say you can go live with a site as long as nothing looks “broken” in any of the supported browsers, and as long as it’s bug-free (meaning, there are no bugs that you are aware of).

TheDoc

Hmmmm. I don’t think I’ve ever launched a site that isn’t ‘done’. There is a design, it is developed, browsers tested and gone through a QA (Quality Assurance) process. Design elements are then tweaked as things may have changed along the way. Another round of testing and QA. Rinse and repeat until they are no lingering tasks/bugs/whatevers, then launch.

Sites that I do for myself, however, go up on live whenever I feel like it.

__
    Participant

I like to sometimes FTP a personal site before it’s “ready” because it can make testing easier.

Do you not have a local server?

TheDoc

It sounds like you’re describing a staging server like: staging.yoururl.com.

Alen
    Participant

What is this thing called FTP?

Alen
    Participant

You could use services like browserstack.com or you could set up a staging server, mentioned before, and test via VM’s or from your local device lab or collect devices your self. Get a really cheap second hand laptop, install whatever you need and go nuts.

Also dual booting is so old school :)

Not sure what you mean by security of VM’s.

Alen
    Participant

I have a desktop computer that runs windows 7 where I do mostly photography work, plus design. My laptop is only for dev work and it runs linux. When I’m testing I just leave my laptop running and access the site via LAN from my Win machine.

__
    Participant

What is this thing called FTP?

+1

I don’t have a virtual machine set up because I question the security of it.

I’m with @Alen; not sure what there is to question.

As for testing in Windows/Mac, understood. I actually have Windows on an old laptop that I keep around for testing purposes (though I access it through my local network). I’ve been thinking about getting an old mac at some point, but I probably won’t—browserstack more than meets my needs.

I am picking up an old iPhone, though, and I need to get a blackberry from somewhere after that. (already have an android tablet.) Emulators just don’t cut it when it comes to mobile devices.

A “staging” site is a good thing anyway, though you should have already finished your dev+debugging by that point and have only a quick testing suite to run through.

Photoshop I could do without but Illustrator is instrumental in Logo Design. I guess I could use Inkscape but I know and like Illustrator. I feel like the learning curve would be too steep.

The curve isn’t too steep, but things are different enough that Inkscape would feel like “a step back” until you were really comfortable with it. And Inkscape is definitely not as feature-rich as Illustrator.

Alen
    Participant
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.