Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS how do you gain access to a server?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vkennedy12

I’m very new to web development, so pardon me if these questions give the impression that I’m a total idiot. How can I get access to a server? Do I have to pay for a domain or server access? Is having a domain synonymous with having access to a server? I wish only to work locally for now but would greatly appreciate a server so I can use php. Lately, I’ve just been opening up my html files in a browser. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

sailors1112

Generally speaking, you have to pay for both a doman and access to a server (sometimes referred to as “hosting packages”). When you buy a domain name at a site like godaddy.com, generally they also offer you some server options that have various packages for bandwidth, storage space, etc.

If you want to use PHP you have to be sure to buy a hosting package that supports setting up your own databases. Most basic packages only include 1 data base.

I have used godaddy before for various things, but never PHP so I can’t comment on their service in that respect. There are a LOT of options out there, so do some research and choose what suits you best!

Also, as for setting up your own server from your local machine… I’m pretty sure it’s possible but I don’t know the details.

Good luck!

TheDoc

If you want to run PHP on your local machine, just install a service like WAMP (Windows) or MAMP (Mac).

Both provide pretty easy set up guides!

vkennedy12

Thank you for the quick and very helpful responses! @TheDoc, do I need a server to run PHP on my local machine, or will MAMP allow me to run PHP without a server?

TheDoc

MAMP will allow you to run PHP locally – no hosting required.

vkennedy12

Fantastic! Thanks so much guys!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.