Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other How do you create a "new" page for a site?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    butch
    Participant

Hello everyone, this is a great forum with a lot of information in it. Thanks to Chris and everyone who help’s for having a great place for someone like me who is just starting out to learn how to make (or attempt to make) great looking and usable websites. :D

So my question is, I’m working on a new site for our family business and I used Photoshop create a mock up and then hand coded the html in Dreamweaver with css and I’m starting to add a little js in as I learn more of it. Now the index or home page is done and now I want to create more pages. For our last site (the first time I ever attempted creating a website) I used DW’s design view and used one of the built in template’s and built each page using the same template, not using any type of external css and it came out so bad I’m really embarrassed by it. Now that I have come to the conclusion that web design and dev is what I want to do (used to be computer sci and development) I want to learn how to do it right.

So how do you add page’s to your site? Do you create editable templates, copy and paste the basic bone html structure?

NumberNine

My method is the same as cybershot. However, if you’re using php, you will want to consider the ‘include’ function, it’s a very handy feature~

Spunkmeyer

Besides the site that I’m currently working on (http://www.thedailyspunkmeyer.com) which uses the wordpress engine, my site always comprises of an index.php. The content of which usually looks like:

Code:

The above code is really simple and only really works with a small amount of pages, but works fantastic. Basically, you use PHP includes to call each portion of the page… the header, top, navigation and what have you. That way, you only edit one page and the changes are made across the site.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.