Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End How do I tell if a server supports PHP?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Siephe

How do I tell if a server supports php/mysql? There’s no cpanel, I’ve only got access to an ftp account, which I can only access through school network.
    And if it doesn’t support php/mysql, is it possible to install it manually onto the server?
    I was planning to use php/mysql to do a little content managing… So if I can’t install it onto the server, are there any alternatives to content managing that is easy to do and don’t require coding knowledge to input content?

TheDoc
    "apostrophe" wrote:
    As regards installing php on your server or alternatives, sorry but that’s beyond my knowledge, I’m sure there are other people here better qualified to answer.

In most cases (all unless you’re hosting it yourself I think), your hosting provider will have to do the install for you which usually means an extra cost.

Having said that, I haven’t seen a hosting plan in a while that doesn’t include a minimum on PHP.

Matt
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    "apostrophe" wrote:
    As regards installing php on your server or alternatives, sorry but that’s beyond my knowledge, I’m sure there are other people here better qualified to answer.

In most cases (all unless you’re hosting it yourself I think), your hosting provider will have to do the install for you which usually means an extra cost.

Having said that, I haven’t seen a hosting plan in a while that doesn’t include a minimum on PHP.

Geocities?

TheDoc
    "Matt" wrote:
    Geocities?

Lol, yes, Geocities haha

Siephe

Thanks. But I am a bit worried… It’s a school server. You know, those irritating things that you can view the site from anywhere, but when actually editing the site, you need to use the school server. Not to mention that it’s Chinese, and well, let’s just say I’m not too optimistic.

So, are there any alternatives for content managing?

Rob MacKay
    Participant
    "apostrophe" wrote:
    Actually when I went to school there was no such thing as a server. :D lol

What content are you trying to manage? Pretty much anything web related is going to depend on the server.

hehe – we had a server I think 2 years before I left, with super duper fast ultra wow Pentium 90’s lol

TheDoc

If you’re worried about it, you can always check it with what Apostrophe mentioned:

"apostrophe" wrote:
    Create a file (in any text editor) and inside the file type:

Code:

Save it as info.php
    Upload it to your server, using FTP, and then, in your web browser, navigate to that file eg. http://www.your-site.com/info.php
    If your server has php/mysql you will see a page listing all the properties that are supported.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.