Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS How Do I Stop SCSS (SASS) from Evaluating a Calculation?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Being able to calculate in SCSS is a fantastic thing! Except when it’s not. Following line of code:

font: 1.5em/55px arial;

Because the 55px changes with the padding of other elements, I wanted to create a global variable and replace it:

font: 1.5em/$barheight arial;

SCSS takes that to be an evaluation, and tries to calculate some number. Given the fact that they are two different units, it errors out when it compiles. Not happy.

ChrisxClash

I don’t know if this will help or not, but I know when doing some math in SCSS/SASS, you need to have a space between some operators.

Try this?:

font: 1.5em / $barheight arial;

No dice.

ChrisxClash

I just realized after playing in codepen, your original code isn’t actually doing division. If you try and do:

font: (1.5em/55px) Arial;

You’ll end up getting the same error. I’ve thrown together a quick codepen showing you a tiny function that can convert px to em for you.

link: http://codepen.io/chrisxclash/pen/yhAwe

Right, the original code is not MEANT to do division. The syntax for that is:

font: font-size/line-height fontname;

My original question asks how do I STOP SCSS from evaluating a mathematical formula and turning it into a calculation, which it is not. I’m basically asking if there is a way to escape characters in SCSS?

And I added on to your codepen to show you what I mean, and why it doesn’t work.

ChrisxClash

Damn, my apologies man. I’ve rarely used the font tag (which I’ve been meaning to learn) so thanks for explaining that to me, haha. I was able to do a few searches and find out what you wanted. I think this should hopefully solve your problem:

font: 1.5em/#{$barheight} arial;

From what I understand, the #{variable} syntax tells it to just output the variable without actually doing calculations on it.

Interpolation! That’s right! Yeah, that works. Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.