Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other How Do I Stop a CSS Style from Affecting Some Sites?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I got a good global CSS theme in Stylish affecting all webpages. But I don’t want it to affect some webpages. What code can I use in that global style to create exceptions so that it doesn’t affect those webpages?

Alen
    Participant

I wouldn’t start changing anything in the global style sheet. Instead override the style by adding a hook (another CSS class) to HTML so that you can target that specific element. In WordPress for example the body element usually has classes attached to it specific to what is being viewed… posts for example have ID’s if you need to target any individual post.

It would help if we can see sample code, instead of talking about it in abstract.

In short in would look like this:

/* Global Styles */
    .my-global-element{ color:red; }

/* Custom Styles */
    .about-page .my-global-element { color:green; }
    .contact-page .my-global-element { color:blue; }

http://codepen.io/alenabdula/pen/ByoxRO

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, alen.. I’m new to CSS. Where should I place these hooks that you’re talking about? In the CSS style sheets for other websites or in the global style sheet?

Below is the global style sheet. Do take a look. Thanks!

[MOD EDIT – Codedump Removed]

Shikkediel
    Participant

Going on your original post, I’d say remove the link to the style sheet (in the header of the page’s HTML document) altogether. But you can also add a link to a separate stylesheet and place it after the original one – anything you specify there will override the global style.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.