Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other How do I protect content of one page with password?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    JuliaHolland
    Participant

It may sound silly and the solution is probably very simple but I can’t figure it out on my own.

I’m building a website for elderly cooking club who didn’t want to put their photo’s online. My suggestion was to do so but to protect the gallery with a password. No registration procedure or asking for passwords. Just one password for them all. (Nobody else will ever try to see it).

Would you be a very nice co-newbe designer or maybe a hardcore professional to show me the right direction? I’d appiciate any help.

Julia

stevendeeds

Just list your website as private? Building in a password isn’t that easy if you don’t know a dynamic language like php and have a basic knowledge database creation/usage.

If you just want to STORE pics on a webserver, maybe FTP login is your best bet?

TheDoc

You could just use htaccess to protect the folder.

Ampitere
    Participant

A solution to avoid having to hide/secure it online is to just watermark the images. Just a suggestion.

TheDoc

@Ampitere – I don’t think it’s a copyright issue. I think the club members just don’t want the general public to see their photos.

chrisburton
    Participant

I would use htaccess as well and leave your password outside of the public directory.

djpic
    Participant

Depends on how you would want to do it. Like TheDoc and TT_Mark said, using .htaccess if you have access to the apache server would work fine. If you want something for future use or maybe like a ‘members’ area, I would use php with $SESSIONS (again assuming you are running php).

JuliaHolland
    Participant

Thank you all for your answers. The easiest solution is probably to turn this website in WP and protect the Foto’s page with a password.

Sinetheta

Although WP is always a great idea for simple sites, all you probably need here is a scripted modal window to verify “password”. You’re not really trying to protect anything, just make them feel like their content isn’t publicly viewable.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.