Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other How do I practice to think more like a programmer?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    brood915
    Participant

How do I practice to think more like a programmer?
    I did not major in computer science, fyi.
    Should I study some cs stuff on my own to think more like a programmer? Or should I just keep practicing coding and it will come to me naturally? Thanks!

Senff
    Participant

Not really sure what you would define as “thinking like a programmer”, but I’d say yes — the more you program, the more you’d think like a programmer. Practice, practice, practice.

__
    Participant

“thinking like a programmer”, I would think, involves seeing things as logical problems, breaking processes down into component tasks, and so forth. Being able to abstract a specific bit of code (or anything) into a general-purpose “idea.”

Will it “come to you naturally” — I couldn’t answer that. It does to some people. Others can figure it out, either on their own or with help. Some people need a lot of dedicated study and help to “get it.”

I don’t know what kind of “coding” you’re doing now, but if it is just HTML/CSS, branch out. CSS has logic to it, but it’s pretty well hidden away from a beginner’s eyes. HTML is literally coding — it’s not a programming language at all; just markup. Look at javascript, or python. Read about design patterns. Browse source code on github. Use the terminal/command line on your computer. Read good programmers (but focus less on “tutorials”).

And yes, practice practice practice.

shaneisme
    Participant

First, begin to lose all social queues… humans are very buggy.

Second, become angry when someone asks you why something takes so long.

Third, make simple syntax errors that make you track them down for half the day.

That should just about do it…

</sarcasm>

Most people that are drawn to coding, and stick around, already do “think like a programmer” – maybe a bit more logic oriented than others (maybe?). You probably do too, you just haven’t turned that light on yet. As they have said, just keep cracking away at it. Build something that solves a problem… build it in many different languages… that will always help.

Robby
    Participant

Oh good question. I wouldn’t call myself a programmer yet but I’m getting there. The thought process and thinking took me a while. In my experience you just have to keep practicing/reading tutorials and it will eventually click one day.

Javascript (not jquery) is a good starter language to get the fundamentals down.

Nix said it best, its all about thinking in tiny baby steps at a time.

shaneisme
    Participant
    __
    Participant

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/python.png
    —@shaneisme

^—- totally.

You’re recommending Python now (because it’s more beginner friendly I assume?)?!

I do like python. I was recommending it here specifically because it’s got a reasonable learning curve, but also doesn’t leave a lot of room to pick bad habits. It also have a very wide range of features — probably more than any other beginner-friendly language, off the top of my head.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.