The Lodge is members-only design/dev videos and Office Hours.

Next Office Hours Session: "Programming Fundamentals" Dec 02 - 2:00 PM Eastern

How do I link to a PDF file?

• # April 4, 2013 at 8:10 am

This should be easy, but I’m not sure what to do. I’m linking to the file in my HTML with a href tags.

It works when I’m viewing the local website, but not on the published site. Is there anything I need to do to upload the file onto my website?

# April 4, 2013 at 8:21 am

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

You can simply link to the file path in your href tag. Be sure to include the PDF file on your server…

Download PDF

# April 4, 2013 at 8:32 am

This is what I have:

Course Schedule

What would be the reason that it works locally but not on the public site?

# April 4, 2013 at 8:45 am

Is the pdf uploaded and available on the web, or just locally on your computer?

# April 4, 2013 at 8:47 am

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

Is the PDF file on your server? If so, is the file path correct? Personally, I like to create a folder called Download and include the associated files. Using that method, your code would be as follows…

Course Schedule

The target=”_blank” forces the downloaded file to open in a new tab/window

# April 4, 2013 at 9:14 am

I’m using Google App Engine to host my site. The pdfs are in my root folder, which gets uploaded when I deploy. I’m hosting images on my site in the same way and they work fine. I’m wondering if it must be something with Google App engine, though I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t work. Hopefully I can get this to work, but in the meantime I’m probably going to have to just upload the pdfs somewhere else and link to them that way.

# April 4, 2013 at 10:30 am

Be specific… tell me your site address, and link to the pdf file… We cant help till let us diagnose the problem :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

There's a whole bunch of content on CSS-Tricks.

Search for Stuff   •   Browse the Archives

Get the Newsletter ... or get the RSS feed