Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End How do I keep or retain my form values even if the form has been submitted?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ajnoguerra
    Participant

I have a form that submits its values to itself. I want the values to stay printed so the user will not try to right all over again what he/she has previously typed.

__
    Participant

When you receive the form submission, save the valid values and print them when you print the form again.

# check if form was submitted
    if( isset( $_POST ) ){
    # validate submitted value
    $text = some_func_to_validate( $text )?
    $text:
    null;
    }
    # if $text was submitted & valid,
    # use it for form value
    $text_value = $text?
    $text: // submitted value
    “”; // empty string
    # print form
    print <<

ajnoguerra
    Participant

Thanks @traq for that. I just wonder, Should it output any error if there is no validation used? I got the idea from your code. I just used the isset to check if the form was submitted then declared my variables and used them as field value.

Will I encounter any problems with this?

if( isset( $_POST ) ){

$title = $_POST;
    $editor_data = $_POST[ ‘editor1’ ];
    $format = $_POST[ ‘format’ ];

}

my form:

Select Title Format

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

Have you thought about using localStorage to save form values?

__
    Participant

> Should it output any error if there is no validation used? *[…]* Will I encounter any problems with this?

At a **minimum**, you need to be sure you don’t output any HTML or JavaScript with the values (use [`strip_tags()`](http://php.net/strip_tags) or [`htmlentities()`](http://php.net/htmlentities)) as a safeguard against XSS attacks.

> Have you thought about using localStorage to save form values?
    @JohnMotylJr

I agree that it’s good to use localstorage *also*, but doing it in PHP is still practical (since you have to do server-side validation anyway) and convenient for the user (since you return *only* the valid values).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.