Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript How do I get the values of radio buttons?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    DaGenius

Someone please help.

I created a form where registrants have to select a radio button and a hidden div will be displayed based on their selection. The issue I have now is that I can not get values from the radio buttons. When I put any value in the input tag/element, the jQuery that enables the display of the hidden div stops working. What do I do to make it all work.

The code is right below:

Spiritual Data

Please select your Religion

and the jQuery is below.

$("#step_2 input[name=religion_group]").click(function(){
    if ($("#christianity:checked").val() == 'on') {
    $("#christian").slideDown();
    } else {
    $("#christian").slideUp();
    };

if ($("#others:checked").val() == 'on') {
    $("#other_religion").slideDown();
    } else {
    $("#other_religion").slideUp();
    };

});

TT_Mark

You have no need for the ‘:checked’ part of that if statement, as you are already checking to see if the value == ‘on’. One or the other should be sufficient.

DaGenius

Thanks for your response but I don’t think you understand my question. I want to get the value christian when a user selects Christianity, muslim when he selects Muslim or others when he selects Others and still retain the div hide/show. Presently what I get in my database is the value on when either christianity or others is selected and null when muslim is selected.

TT_Mark

Oh right, sorry, did not understand the question!

You need to give the Radio buttons a value attribute for them to pass a value to the database

So:

DaGenius

Thank you, I got it fixed. When I gave it a value before, the jQuery stopped working but I realized I had to change the val() in jQuery to the value I gave to it in the form. I have been using val() == ‘on’ before now.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.