Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS How do i create this shadow effect?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I want to create this exact shadow effect without using any images and hopefully without adding any new elements. I want to apply the shadow to the header and have it on that one side. If doing it this way is impossible im open to any solution. Thank you.

yoyo
    Participant

The image you uploaded is not opened here, it says

server not found

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thats weird. Its on google drive and its working for me. try it again please.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Senff
    Participant

So that’s like a curved shadow. I’m sure it can be done with some really clever/fancy CSS, but I would just go for an image, really.

Anonymous
    Inactive

its possible to create the effect. This actually shows you how http://www.paulund.co.uk/creating-different-css3-box-shadows-effects But i don’t want to create another element. I want to apply the shadow to the header. And i also want it to be on one side only. ill even use javascript if necessary.

Merri
    Participant

http://codepen.io/Merri/pen/jGbiz

Only the part that is of interest:

.your-topbar-element:after {
      border-radius: 0 0 100% 100%;
      box-shadow: 0 1em .5em rgba(64, 48, 0, .4);
      content: '';
      bottom: .5em;
      left: 1em;
      right: 1em;
      top: 0;
      position: absolute;
      z-index: -1;
    }

The after pseudo element is the only thing required, and position: relative; on the parent element in addition to the properties above.

Just adjust the left and right values in the pseudo element and that lets you align the shadow to the position you want it to appear in.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.