Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS How deal with browser compatibility

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    umagrama

Hey guys!

Let’s see if I can get some opinions on this issue, how does one deal with browser compatibility? I’ve been having positioning problems where I position one element and it works in Safari but when I check it on Firefox it is a little off.

What is the CSS trick to manage compatibility between browsers?

snillor

1) Re-validate the HTML and CSS. In my case, I find that in 30-50% of the cases, something I recently changed has caused my markup or CSS to no longer validate. For me it’s usually a typo (maybe a semi-colon when I meant it to be a colon, or something equally stupid and hard to spot).

2) If it’s just a minor cosmetic issue, I’ve finally come to believe that it’s often OK for a site to look slightly different in different browsers.

3) If it’s a more serious issue (like your positioning problems), I’ll do a Google search. Maybe it’s a known issue with some workarounds. But if that doesn’t get me anywhere, I’ll probably ask for help here on css-tricks.

umagrama

Thanks Snillor! You are right about re-validating the code, I went through it and caught a couple things wrong with it and got it to work. I appreciate your comment, it made me go once again into the code and look for typos.

Cheers!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.