Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End How can I make this…..?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    netxm

I need to create page on website fezayarns.com which will display a list of products (thumbnails, you can organize them by name or category). When you click on thumbnail, separate page will open with full description of product. There will be about 200-400 items and new will be added every month. I was thinking about php+mysql…
    Just give me an idea where to start. (php, javascript….)
    Thank you.

Rob MacKay
    Participant

I would check the sticky threads out first in the Jquery and this PHP help forum ;)

netxm

didn’t find anything, does anyone know any plugins or good tutorials. Thank you.

synic
    "netxm" wrote:
    I need to create page on website fezayarns.com which will display a list of products (thumbnails, you can organize them by name or category). When you click on thumbnail, separate page will open with full description of product. There will be about 200-400 items and new will be added every month. I was thinking about php+mysql…
    Just give me an idea where to start. (php, javascript….)
    Thank you.

That’s a pretty broad question. You’re probably not going to find anyone that will write something up for you, so you might as well start attempting to learn/search for things on your own. Check out the Diving into PHP videos over at nettuts.com (they are linked in a thread that is stickied on this forum). Watch all of them and you’ll probably learn something you can use to accomplish what you need. However, I’ll help out a little.

Anyway, you would probably need to create several general SQL queries for each of your conditions. On your main page you seem like you seem like you want to display all of your products. All of these products (I’m assuming) are already in a database somewhere. For arguments sake, let’s call the database "information."

You’d probably want to connect to your database first. If you’re using PHP, you’d do something like this (I’m assuming you’d be using MYSQL too):

Code:

So now you are connected to host using your ‘information’ database. Next you would probably want to select all of your products from your table that we will call ‘products’ and print them out.

Code:
    field_name1;
    echo $row->field_name2;
    }
    ?>

// Close the connection if you’re done with it
    mysql_close($con);

The above code is one of several ways to output information from a database. I’d suggest reading the PHP manual to learn more about interacting with MYSQL – http://us3.php.net/manual/en/ref.mysql.php.

What I wrote is a super basic example, but it might help you a little bit. Only other thing I can say is that you’ll need to do some reading/watching on your own to understand things for your self. Cheers.

netxm

Thank you synic, I’ve already started to read PHP & MySQL book from SitePoint http://www.sitepoint.com/books/phpmysql4, watched 13 days of Dive into PHP from Nettuts, and tried to follow tutorial on sitepoint (http://www.sitepoint.com/article/php-gallery-system-minutes/) , but with no luck so far. So, I guess, I’m moving in right direction. Thanks again.

bmdsherman

Since your going to have tons of content fist off I would recommend a using pagination. There is a great tutorial on this here: http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorial/basic-pagination

If you need any help shoot me an email bmdsherman[at]gmail[dot]com, I am working on builiding up my portfolio and would love to help.

Hi,

This is really good discussion and informative too. I joined to solve my problem of how to connect to database ? can you guide me ? :P :lol: :|

Thanks,

bmdsherman

patricksnead24,
    Is this what your looking for?

Code:

I have been using php and mysql provided in my hosting provider. I learned it by searching for training videos especially in youtube. Try it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.