Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS How can I find cross browser compatibility issues in CSS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    saif
    Participant

How can I find cross browser compatibility issues in CSS

Beverleyh
    Participant

Test in lots of different browsers, on different devices.

ganja
    Participant

What s the matter with CSS ? I think only raw javascript has some problem but all this will be done with jquery or somethink like that.

uxfed
    Participant

I agree with Beverleyh, testing on a broad set of devices/browsers is the only way to be sure. To answer ganja’s question, there are loads of styles which were released more recently than older browser versions, so these older browsers may not support these features. This is less of a problem these days (with Internet Explorer on the wane), but it still can’t be ignored.

saif
    Participant

Hi Beverleyh, Thanks for your answer. How can I test my website on different browsers and devices, I have Mac machine only. Please suggest.

Beverleyh
    Participant

Buy a second hand laptop, visit a public library or Internet cafe, ask to borrow a friend or family member’s device/computer, even drop into a friend’s office at lunch. You can also find a local computer repair shop and ask to do a service trade in exchange for time on a test PC. Do whatever you can to test on other machines and devices. There are opportunities everywhere.

saif
    Participant

This will not be feasible for me. I am having my startup, people are working here. And I need test on my system.

Is there any online emulator or virtual machines available to access different devices and browsers?

Christina
    Participant

Beverleyh, Hahaha this is awesome reply. Borrowing laptops and devices from relatives and neighbors is not the solution for wide range of cross browser testing.

Saif, While developing a website, normally you use a combination of Javascript, CSS, and HTML with CSS3 and HTML5 being the latest and we love latests so, as expected it’s developers first choice.
    If you’re also developing your website on these technologies( don’t mind latest or not 😉 ) you might need to take care of some points so as to make your website suitable for every browser.

There are many online platforms available to perform cross browser testing like LambdaTest , Browserstack, SauceLabs,Crossbrowsertesting

uxfed
    Participant

There are a bunch out there.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=browser+device+online+emulator+or+virtual+machines
    Personally I like BrowserStack, but I wouldn’t rely on any emulator. In my experience none are as good as the real thing.

saif
    Participant

Thanks Christina and Uxfed, Surely I’ll try out your suggested tools and will see if they will be helpful.

Beverleyh
    Participant

Borrowing laptops and devices from relatives and neighbors is not the solution for wide range of cross browser testing.

LOL Christina – no, it is not the whole solution, but is it part of the solution for many people, especially when emulators fail. There’s nothing like being able to test on real devices, but I appreciate that “test suites” don’t magically happen overnight. We’ve gathered many second hand devices from friends and family, as well as scouring boot sales and markets for cheap cast-offs so that we can see/troubleshoot real-world usage issues during development. Luckily, I work in a school, and for other schools, so there’s lots of additional opportunity for staff and students to flag issues seen via their devices and that helps to pinpoint really stubborn/obscure problems that have eluded us.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.