Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Hosting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    matt25
    Participant

I need to find a Web host for small business but I don’t really know where to look first there are soo many options and servers out there its hard to sort out the good from the bad. Can anyone recommend any that are not too expensive and have things like several email accounts, PHP, good bandwidth etc..?
    Thanks for any suggestions, sorry its a bit vague but I’m not quite sure what i’m looking for :S
    Matt

This is a bit of a personal preference… I’m sure other web designers/developers will have their own opinions. I have been quite happy with HostGator though. They have affordable rates (as low as about $5-$7 a month) and I’ve been happy with their customer service when I need it.

ikthius

I use stramline.net good customer service and you get the choice of service level & server OS either linux or windows.

you get email with them:

I have liked streamline for a while now, I would always reccomend them

matt25
    Participant

I was looking at streamline but was worried that with it being so cheap that it isn’t very fast. Also I was hoping to host several different sites on the same server.

How much does it matter where the server is? i.e. should I be buying from a UK company as the traffic is mainly from the UK or can I use something like Dreamhost or media temple or whatever from the US with out compromising speed etc..?

ikthius
    "matt25" wrote:
    I was looking at streamline but was worried that with it being so cheap that it isn’t very fast. Also I was hoping to host several different sites on the same server.

How much does it matter where the server is? i.e. should I be buying from a UK company as the traffic is mainly from the UK or can I use something like Dreamhost or media temple or whatever from the US with out compromising speed etc..?

you could host anywhere….. the speeds are fine with Streamline, I have never had any downtime.

good thing about it is, you can make a main account and run several sub-accounts through it if you like.

I have my main account of honeycomb-web.co.uk but I run other peoples sites and I have 3 other sites under my account.
    they all have their own server space, so when you look for another one of mine woskf.co.uk it is in its own space but it is under my main account. I can’t lose certain info, one place to sign into to run everything.

I say the speed of the net depends not only the server speed, but your own ISP speed & traffic on your network.

I am on the power user level on a linux server, I have 25 email accounts per domain, and a catch all email as well. I can use countless emails for that, but I have 25 independant that will not be caught through the catch all email.

I must admit, I do really like streamline

Matt

MediaTemple, BlueHost, NearlyFreeSpeech, 1&1, and A Small Orange.

I personally use Media Temple.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.