Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Hosted Git Repos Vs. Git Repos On Your Server

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    seansean11
    Participant

I’ve been using git for almost a year now at work, for version control on WordPress websites. I feel like I have learned quite a bit about git aside from deployment because we let Beanstalk App take care of that. I tend to never log into Beanstalk App for anything aside from automating my deployments, because I get a good visual of the repo using the SourceTree software.

I recently got my personal hosting off of Fatcow (who didn’t allow ssh connections) and am looking to version control all of my personal projects, but I feel kind of confused without a crutch like Beanstalk. In fact, I would prefer to not have to pay to host my repos anywhere – whether it be on Beanstalk, Bitbucket, or Github. I’ve been reading a lot of tutorials that talk about setting up git on your server and using a post-receive hook for deployment, where it seems like the repos are directly placed on the Web Hosting Server (without using one the aforementioned services). This seems like it would be optimal for me and makes me wonder why I would want to use something Github or Bitbucket with my setup. Maybe someone can clarify for me, and let me know if I’m interpreting these tutorials correctly. Also, I’d appreciate if you could chime in about why I might want to use GitHub or Bitbucket.

Here’s one of the tutorials that I looked at: http://culttt.com/2013/04/08/how-to-deploy-wordpress-themes-with-git/

Paulie_D

Sean.

You might want to think about changing your Forum name rather than have your email address out in the wild.

seansean11
    Participant

Thanks, not sure how that got set.

TheDoc

Bitbucket provides you with unlimited private repos.

seansean11
    Participant

Thanks Doc…. that’s awesome and I had no idea. For some reason I thought that they offered a limited amount of private repos. Is there a reason that I should host my repo’s with them over installing my repo’s directly on my server?

TheDoc

That’s a great question that I don’t entirely have an answer for.

__
    Participant

Personally, I don’t see any reason not to host my own repos (unless you have a host that doesn’t support it, but most IME do).

For each project, I usually set up a “bare” repo as a staging area, which I can pull/push from either my local repo or the “live” repo on the server.

seansean11
    Participant

I think I’m going to give it a shot. I’m looking at this documentation right now about how to set up Git on my server:
    http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-on-the-Server-Setting-Up-the-Server

If I find that I want to use a service (like bitbucket) for some reason, I’ll post it here.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.