Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Homepage/Index for WordPress

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    taxicss
    Participant

Hi, I’m currently converting my site to wordpress and its my first time ever to play with wordpress. I’ve been reading some tutorials lately and I am confused on where should i put my code for my homepage. I’ve seen some tuts setting their homepage in the front-page.php file and some on the index.php file. So where should I code my homepage exactly?

TheDoc

I wrote a long post about this a while back! http://code.graygilmore.com/blog/wordpress-why-you-gotta-be-so-confusing

I’m pretty sure all of those things are still true today. The gist of it: it’s always better to let index.php be your fallback (catch-all) template. I like to think of it has a page rather than any custom template. It’s better to use home.php or front-page.php for a home page.

taxicss
    Participant

@TheDoc, thanks for the post. So now I should use front-page.php since my index.html/homepage is static? It only consist of a slider and a few infos. And if I am to use home.php, where do i set it to act as my homepage? Isn’t it its the index.html that’s being loaded first in a website?

TheDoc

If you want to use a static page, definitely use front-page.php.

Checkout Settings > Reading to select these settings.

taxicss
    Participant

Hi @TheDoc sorry but I can’t seem to find the front-page.php file? Where do I edit the content of it? Here’s what I’ve done..I created a page(Homepage) and set it as my Front Page under Settings > Reading > Static Page.

TheDoc

You need to create front-page.php in your theme’s folder.

taxicss
    Participant

@TheDoc Thanks but can I ask another question. How about my other pages? The website I’m converting is a restaurant site. It has 4 major pages (homepage, menu, locations, and contact page) all with different structure and styles. I really like to make it to wordpress to make adding or updating new items/menu in the MENU page easier. So about these pages, where do I create them exactly? Is it in the PAGES section of WordPress? Can someone teach or point me on how to work this out pls.

TheDoc

Did you look into whether WordPress was the right choice before beginning this conversion? Restaurant websites can be particularly problematic when trying to edit a dinner menu.

Pages for your site are created in the Pages section. Posts for a blog are created in the Posts section.

If each of your pages have completely different structures/styles then you’ll also need to create custom page templates for each one.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.