Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Hide text but not the :before pseudo class

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    grimski
    Participant

Hi there

I have a list which will display social media icons. I’m using font icons to achieve this (Fontello). Applying the relevant class to the anchor displays an icon using a font on the :before element. So I have the icon displayed alongside the text.

<ul>
        <li><a href="#" title="TITLE TEXT." class="icon-facebook">Facebook</a></li>
        <li><a href="#" title="TITLE TEXT." class="icon-google">Google+</a></li>
        <li><a href="#" title="TITLE TEXT." class="icon-linkedin">LinkedIn</a></li>
    </ul>

Now I want to hide the Facebook, Google+_ and LinkedIn text. I could just delete the text, which works, but I consider that to be bad practice of accessibility.

I thought I could use overflow: hidden; text-indent: -9999px; but this moves the :before element out of view as well. I could of sworn I’d found away around this on another project but for the life of me I can’t remember. I thought setting a certain display property, text-align: left; or floating it might work – but no joy!

Can anyone think of a way around this?

grimski
    Participant

As usually, couldn’t get this working at all then I stumble upon a possible solution. Could of sworn I’d tried this yesterday…

a {
        display: inline-block;
        overflow: hidden;
        text-indent: -9999px;
    }

a:before {
        color: #fff;
        float: left;
        font-size: 18px;
        line-height: 16px;
        margin: 0;
        text-indent: 0;
    }

The float: left; is important.

display: block; kinda works but it pushes the text below the icon. As I don’t have a height set it’s partially visible. Imagine that approach could work if you set a height. on the anchor.

Does anyone see any flaws with this approach?

Mottie

Why do you even need the text inside the link? It’s in the title attribute, so I’m not sure why you’d need it.

As to your approach, I think the clickable area for each icon ends up being too small. I would set a width for each one. Maybe try something like this (demo)

a {
      font-size: 18px;
      width: 20px;
      white-space: nowrap;
      overflow: hidden;
      text-indent: 40px;
    }
    a:before {
      color: #00f;
      text-indent: 0;
      float: left;
    }

grimski
    Participant

There’s actually an issue with my code. Seems to work fine in everything by Firefox, where the icons don’t show.

@Mottie
    for accessibility reasons. For example if CSS didn’t load the content would still be accessible. As the icon uses a custom font/css to style it, nothing would be visible.

Seeing as I’m having an issue in Firefox, maybe setting the width like you have done will be the best way forward.

marblegravy
    Participant

I know this is an old thread but I thought I’d offer my demo of how I got this working for future lurkers:

http://codepen.io/marblegravy/pen/BpyWLE

Essentially a combo of text-indent -9999px on the main text and +9999px on the :before

numerosata
    Participant

Hi! What about something like this?

https://codepen.io/numerosata/pen/BPOoaV

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.