Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Help with Shortcode and a few other issues.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    pittles78
    Participant

My site is in development and I stink at this stuff, so here we go. On my main page I have 4 issues. My site is http://superluxefibers.com/

1.) In Safari there is a 10px white line on the top of my page and I can’t figure out how to get rid of it. It’s only in Safari to my knowledge.

2.) My homepage text is partially hidden. I have auto for height and it’s not working for that portion of text. It hide behind my footer.

3.) Below the text, but hidden on my main page there is “http://superluxefibers.com/wp-content/themes/superluxe” and I don’t know where it is coming from and how to get rid of it.

4.) The real issue. If you look at my gallery page I have a Instagram plugin that displays thumbnails of upload Instagram photo. All I have on that page is a header graphic and the plugin, but it uses Shortcode which works for that page, but I am trying to duplicate a mini version on my right nav on the homepage and the shortcode isn’t working. How do I call it to action? Chris had a snippet of php to call it, but I can’t figure out how to get it work.

Best,
    Jon

Paulie_D

Do you have a link, we can’t debug what we can’t see?

pittles78
    Participant

Sorry Paulie_D, that was not real smart on my part. My apologies and I thank you for pointing it out.

http://superluxefibers.com

Kind regards,
    Jon

Paulie_D

>In Safari there is a 10px white line on the top of my page and I can’t figure out how to get rid of it.

Not in my Safari 5.1.7 on W7

>Below the text, but hidden on my main page there is “http://superluxefibers.com/wp-content/themes/superluxe” and I don’t know where it is coming from and how to get rid of it.

It’s hard coded in the HTML after

All this unmatched service comes with low minimums and competitive pricing.

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

Instead of setting height to elements that collapse, try clearing floats by setting `overflow: hidden` to the parent element.

First of all, **I deleted all empty elements**. And here is how I cleaned a bit your code:

.nav_menu {
    /* Added */
    overflow: hidden;
    width: 975px;
    margin: 0 auto;

/* Removed */
    width: 935px;
    margin-left: auto;
    margin-right: auto;
    padding-left: 8px;
    }

#content {
    width: 975px;
    font-size: .7em;

/* Added */
    margin: 0 auto;

/* Removed */
    height: auto;
    margin-left: auto;
    margin-right: auto;
    background-color: #fff;
    color: #000000;
    padding-top: 0;
    padding-bottom: 0;
    }

#col-2 {
    width: 600px;
    float: left;

/* Removed */
    height: 320px;
    margin: 18px 0 0 25px;
    display: inline;
    }

#col-3 {
    border-left: 1px solid #CCCCCC;
    width: 280px;
    float: right;
    text-align: right;

/* Removed */
    margin: 32px 25px 18px 0;
    display: inline;
    }

#footer {
    /* Added */
    background: url(images/footer_background.gif) black;

/* Removed */
    width: 100%;
    height: 165px;
    text-align: center;
    clear: both;
    background-image: url(images/footer_background.gif);
    margin-left: 0;
    font-family: “Trebuchet MS”, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    }

There are a ton of other things to fix but this would be a good start. :)

Paulie_D

>My homepage text is partially hidden. I have auto for height and it’s not working for that portion of text. It hide behind my footer.

There some weird div structure going on with IDs like #col1 etc…but some of them are empty. Not sure if this is related but it’s odd.

pittles78
    Participant

Thank you for the suggestions so far, I will look into the your ideas @Paulie_D. @HugoGiraudel many of your revisions cause chaos on other pages and render things broken. As always any help is appreciated, but your code causes more problems than it fixes.

Best,
    Jon

Paulie_D

>As always any help is appreciated, but your code causes more problems than it fixes.

I suspect that is because, **with all due respect**, your code was malformed to begin with.

I can’t see any reason for empty divs in the HTML and they do seem to be causing havoc with what you have already.

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

> @HugoGiraudel many of your revisions cause chaos on other pages and render things broken. As always any help is appreciated, but your code causes more problems than it fixes.

Well, I have to say I’m pretty confident with my HTML/CSS skills. I cleaned your code and fixed your main issue.

With all due respect, if your site is now broken I really doubt it is because of my fix. As @Paulie_D said, I believe your code was kind of dirty in the first place (no offense, we’ve all been beginners once).

Empty elements, explicit height on most blocks. Those are things you shouldn’t be using. This is the source of your problem, not the code I gave you.

Instead of rejecting a fix because it doesn’t solve all your problems, I think you should take the issue at its source and clean your whole code base. :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.