Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Help with rewrite rule

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    XaviJr
    Participant

I want to redirect http://www.something.com/helloworld.pdf to http://www.something.com/index.php?file=helloworld.pdf and then echoing the name of the file in index.php.

So far I got this code:
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule ([^/.]+)/?.(?i:jpg|gif|png|pdf|zip|rar|doc|docx|mov|ai|psd|swf|key)$ index.php?file=$1 [L]

They only thing it’s missing is the extension of the file on the echo. What am I doing wrong?

__
    Participant

They only thing it’s missing is the extension of the file on the echo. What am I doing wrong?

You only passed the first subpattern ($1) to your rewritten url. The file extension is inside $2.

Also note that ([^/.]+)/?.<– this dot matches “any character,” and so might cause patterns to match/not match that you might not otherwise expect. You can do \. instead to make it a literal “dot.”

XaviJr
    Participant

So I changed to:

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule ([^/.]+)/?.(?i:jpg|gif|png|pdf|zip|rar|doc|docx|mov|ai|psd|swf|key)$ index.php?file=$1.$2 [L]

And it’s printing [filename]. what means that the extension is not being saved in $2.

Any idea?

__
    Participant

What’s the (?i: part supposed to do? I’ve never seen that. It seems that you really only need an optional group (i.e., (this|that|other)) for this task…? That ? might be causing the pattern to be non-capturing.

XaviJr
    Participant

Nevermind. I was able to do what I wanted to:

RewriteEngine on

images

RewriteRule ^(.+).jpg$ index.php?file=$1.jpg [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.+).gif$ index.php?file=$1.gif [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.+).png$ index.php?file=$1.png [L]

docs

RewriteRule ^(.+).pdf$ index.php?file=$1.pdf [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.+).doc$ index.php?file=$1.doc [L]

I can add only the files I want to behave like this. :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.