Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Help with 'position: fixed ' elements

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    oblekta
    Participant

Hey everyone,

I am currently developing a digital magazine for a client. The index (table of contents) is fixed at the bottom (which you can open/close) This is a design choose, but I am currently struggling with the following:

I want the index to be always shown at the bottom, the problem is that on the cover page I am using a full page background with some content. I somehow want to force an element to be always shown even when the index is fixed @ the bottom.

In case my explanation is a bit unclear, I have made a fiddle for this question. Just make your browser smaller to see the results: http://jsfiddle.net/3h8T2/

Does anyone have a idea to solve this? I have the feeling the solution is pretty simple, just can’t seem to figure it out at the moment.

Atelierbram
    Participant

And if you would give the last element of the page a large amount of padding ( about the max-height of the fixed-positioned index ) ?

aside {
     padding-bottom: 10em;   
    }

oblekta
    Participant

Hey Atelierbram,

Thank you for your respond. Sadly that isn’t the solution I am looking for.

I want the article element to be unaffected by the index/table of contents element.

Atelierbram
    Participant

Let’s try to make this clear. Do you mean you want your article to ‘never-be-overlayed’ by the fixed-positioned element?

oblekta
    Participant

Yes, that is correct! :)

Atelierbram
    Participant

With all respect, isn’t this ‘wanting to have your cake and eat it too’ , because you still want the fixed-positioned element, but you don’t want it to overlay any element, even not when this is just natural behaviour of a webpage with scrolling up in the browser?

oblekta
    Participant

You are correct. I find it hard to explain what I mean, but I have thought of a couple of things. I will try them out later on. Thanks for your help though!

paulob
    Participant

Hi,

I’m not sure if this what you meant but it uses flexbox (modern browsers only) to create a fixed effect at the bottom while allowing the top section to soak up the remainder.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I’m with @Atelierbram on this one. If the index is under the article then you will never see it. Is your goal to click a button to display it? If that’s the case then just set the height of the index div to 0px and when they click on the button set the height to 100px (or whatever you want).

Do you have a mockup or something you can show?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.