Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Help with changing my font

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matt Kruze
    Participant

Hi there – I know this might sounds like a simple, well-versed issue, but mine comes with a difference!

I use the skylark theme for my wordpress site. I wanted a fancier font than the rather generic one available for my site title, so I downloaded one called Tall Paul, which was spot on. I then found the CSS code for this font, and pasted it into the edit section of my CSS menu, and it changed the font to Tall Paul.

Bingo! I thought. How clever. But no…when I view my website on any machine other than my desktop, the Tall Paul font is not in place – only the original, generic one.

Does anybody know why this might be, and what I can do to fix it? I am a complete CSS novice so please talk to me like the fool that I so clearly am! For your information – the CSS code features a web url to where I downloaded the font. Would this have anything to do with the problem?

By the way, yes I have tried the wordpress forums but I got one (unhelpful) reply and then nothing. So here I am!

Thanks so much

Matt

Matt Kruze
    Participant

Well this is the bit I have for my site title:

.site-title {
    font-size: 60px;
    font-size: 5rem;
    letter-spacing: -0.015em;
    line-height: 1.5;
    font-weight: 400;
    text-shadow: 1px 1px #527ca7;
    font-family: ‘Tall Paul’;
    src: url(‘http://www.fontsaddict.com/fontface/tall-paul.ttf’);
    }

Paulie_D

You should not be ‘hot-linking’ fonts like that unless specifically allowed by the supplying site.

Obviously if that OK with them then all is well, unless the site goes down. Much better to host them yourself along with your other files.

Matt Kruze
    Participant

That’s a good point – if the site goes down it’s a problem for me. As far as permission goes: the site offered the CSS code so I assume they’re happy with it.

Hosting fonts myself? How do I do that?

Thanks guys.

Paulie_D

As far as permission goes: the site offered the CSS code so I assume they’re happy with it.

That was probably for demo purposes…it looks like they assume you will be downloading…so you really should do that and then run it through FontSquirrel for the various formats required

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.