Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Help turning on/off Javascript using a hyperlink

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Eightyk

I’m using a javascript that is pretty heavy on older computers and I would like to have an on/off text hyperlink on the site (default on)… I cant seem to find what I need using google, or I dont know what to search for to achieve this. Please help!

TT_Mark

I don’t think you can turn JavaScript on/off in a webpage, otherwise this would already have been exploited to take away the choice of disabling it from the user

Eightyk

I don’t want to turn all javascript off on the page. Just a single script.

noahgelman
    Participant

I don’t think it’s possible. Once the browser has the script, it has it. I’m not even sure if, while the page loads, you can test of speed and if it’s fast enough then add the javascript.

If there was a way, it would certainly be an interesting one. Most likely will be php

soap
    Participant

Maybe it’s possible to have a link remove the line of code for the external script and refresh while keeping that line of code removed. Possibly accomplished with AJAX? Unsure. Sounds like maybe you should slim that javascript down ;)

noahgelman
    Participant

@soap, I think the goal is to do it without refreshing.

Can you do conditional scripts for certain operating systems or page speeds like you do for IE? Or an if else statement of some kind with php or javascript?

Or maybe, if you have it in a div like this:

Can you just just some javascript to delete the #script-holder element? Would that stop the javascript from functioning or would it still since it’s already cached?

Eightyk

How about having the hyperlink change what the script does? (off) and then setting it back to normal (on) ??

Eightyk

I may have found the answer… I’m just not sure how to implement it. check this out.

http://developerssolutions.wordpress.com/2010/07/28/load-css-dynamically/

soap
    Participant

Well if you do it with AJAX it’s not technically refreshing.. :D

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.