Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Help. Firefox on Mac is unbearably slow (for me)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    blw0010

I see that Chris C. uses Firefox on Mac just fine. I have a Macbook Pro, 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB Memory, and Firefox 3. For both the current version, and Firefox 2, I have always had very sluggish performance and when there’s any type of flash or video on a page, it becomes so slow it’s unusable.

I’ve searched forums and help resources all over the internet, but could never find a solution. I have found other people looking for the same answer as me, but never a reason or solution.

Even with no add-ons and a fresh install, it’s terribly slow. I’m a web developer, so it’s really tuff for me since I don’t get to use Firebug without Firefox. I have resorted to installing Parallels and running Firefox on windows for my development work, but this sucks up a lot of my computer’s power and would be ever so grateful if anyone has a solution for my Firefox Mac troubles.

Thanks.

blw0010

Thanks for the info, Box. I forgot to mention the OS X version I’m running is 10.4.11. But about your comments, it seems you’ve had even more trouble than me with browsers. For me, Firefox is the only one that has given me trouble on my Mac. Every other browser works just fine, no matter how long I’ve been using it.

I will try Firefox 3.1 beta, but the question still remains. Why is it some folks who use a mac don’t have any problems with Firefox, including Chris Coyier, but with others, Firefox crawls like a 3 legged turtle?

ikthius
    "blw0010" wrote:
    Thanks for the info, Box. I forgot to mention the OS X version I’m running is 10.4.11. But about your comments, it seems you’ve had even more trouble than me with browsers. For me, Firefox is the only one that has given me trouble on my Mac. Every other browser works just fine, no matter how long I’ve been using it.

I will try Firefox 3.1 beta, but the question still remains. Why is it some folks who use a mac don’t have any problems with Firefox, including Chris Coyier, but with others, Firefox crawls like a 3 legged turtle?

do you have any extensions or themes?
    if so turn them all off and test, you may have one of them hogging resources.

also have you a firewall, that you have not given full permissions for FF to see the net?

you may have to un-install FF totally delete every folder it has ever made, and do a complete fresh install, so that you get a brand new profile, this should solve any problems…..

but I have safari 4 beta and it is a resource hog for me, in fact I can only run it for 2 mins, before it stops my computer, I wish I could go back to an earlier version

blw0010

Even with a fresh install, no add-ons or themes, all previous FF folders deleted. It’s a slow and impossible to use program on my mac. I did download FF 3. beta and it seems to run reasonably fast enough. Although I haven’t used it much since Firebug does not work on 3.1 yet.

blw0010

Thanks , Box. I’ll try disabling the add-on compatibility and see if it works.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.