- This topic is empty.
May 4, 2012 at 7:46 pm #37934
I don’t even know where to start! I’m trying to build my own website on squarespace & I’m trying to make a cover page? or a splash page? I’m sorry i really have no idea what is called but i can provide examples:
Please let me know if you can help me and if this can even be done on squarespace.
THANKS!!May 4, 2012 at 7:49 pm #102338theacefesMember
I would really recommend *not* putting a splash/cover page on your site. It serves no purpose other than making a user click to see the actual information on your site.May 4, 2012 at 8:42 pm #102340cizmicParticipant
Because the web is changing constantly, here are some few suggestions to make sure your site doesn’t have:
1. As theacdes mentioned, don’t use a splash page. It serves no purpose, and is bad for SEO. Additionally, it can confuse visitors because they don’t know what to click.
2. Refrain from using Flash websites. They aren’t supported on mobile devices, which takes away a good 20% of you site visitors away. If you used HTML and CSS, your site would not only appear higher on Google and other search engines, but could also cater to smaller screens and load much faster.
I hope this can help you.May 4, 2012 at 8:59 pm #102342
OK splash page is out! Darn I thought that was a good start to designing an attractive photography page! I guess I’ll keep working on it!May 5, 2012 at 5:56 am #102350
I’m still working on it…but would appreciate feedback:May 5, 2012 at 9:26 am #102352MottieMember
Very nice. I love the minimalist approach and the handwritten part at the top :)
There are two things I wanted to comment on:
1. In the footer, the “To change this footer click here.” message needs to be removed.
2. On the journeys page, the pdf files should be changed into web pages for speed.
Keep up the great work!May 5, 2012 at 4:13 pm #102361
THANKS Mottie, will do!
Question?? How do I turn the pdf. files into web pages? is that the same as an epub page or a separate page in squarespace that i have to link to?May 6, 2012 at 5:58 pm #102418MottieMember
I’ve never used squarespace before, but all you should need to do is start with your basic site template and copy the text from the PDF into your HTML.May 10, 2012 at 9:53 pm #102693
- The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.