Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Header Feedback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

I’m looking for some feedback on my header area. Any takers?

* Option 1
    * Option 2
    * Option 3

Votes

Option 1:           1

Option 2:          3

Option 3:          6

chrisburton
    Participant

@ChrisP You’re not looking hard enough ;). Options two and three have different borders for the menu.

chrisburton
    Participant

@ChrisP Thanks for the feedback. I’m going to tally these up and update it above.

TheDoc

Number 3 for me! I like keeping the borders the same length, ‘wrapping’ around the title.

chrisburton
    Participant

@TheDoc Thanks, Gray! The header has slowed down my progress tremendously. I feel like if I creatively moved the menu somewhere else, I’d prefer just my name and page title in the header overall. I just don’t see a way of doing that.

wolfcry911
    Participant

number 3, I agree with Doc in keeping the borders the same length. I also like 2 and 3 far more than 1 – the whitespace in the former is very refreshing, while the title in 1 is overpowering

chrisburton
    Participant

@wolfcry911 Appreciate the feedback, thank you.

Edited

chrisburton
    Participant

@ChrisP How dumb of me. I wish there was a secret way of only allowing a certain user to see a post (mind removing the text after the comma?).

[private] @username Some gibberish here [/private]

CrocoDillon
    Participant

Option 3 here too :) Just feels better with same width borders there… don’t have any preference for font size so option 1 with same width borders would work for me too.

chrisburton
    Participant

Thanks @CrocoDillon.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Option 2 looks best. Although one suggestion i have is making the borders 1px bigger. I had to look closer at my monitor to see them.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Jarolin Appreciate the suggestion and feedback however, the borders are supposed to be subtle. Increasing the size of them would not look appealing, in my opinion.

3 for me too, Chris. Have you thought about having the borders match the width of the 1/3 grid column below? It feels slightly off for me as it is currently a bit longer.

Also, that subscribe button doesn’t feel right to me. As it is one of the highest contrast parts of the page, it draws your attention earlier than I feel it should. Also, the borders surrounding it seem a little too much, and finally, it feels like it should be elsewhere.

I think if you were to move it somewhere else, then the borders would look better as there wouldn’t be two in such close proximity, which would help with the balance of the page.

Perhaps placing it in the footer might work? But I would look at using a lighter background, or removing the background colour altogether.

Either way, nice work, man. This is looking really good.

P.S. How does the title look if you tighten the tracking just a little? And how does the body copy look if you reduce the leading slightly?

P.P.S. It would make me very happy if the article titles in the content slider lined up vertically with the content slider’s navigation arrows. Might be easier said than done though.

chrisburton
    Participant

@joshuanhibbert. Really appreciate that you commented on further from what I was asking!

Th early version of the three blocks where my articles are listed, I had that slightly wider so it did match up appropriately. I didn’t even realize it hadn’t until you just mentioned it. Thanks for bringing that to my attention as obvious as it was. Haha. I paid more attention to how it looked against my name more than anything.

I somewhat agree with the subscribe button. Unfortunately, it doesn’t fit that area if I remove the background or change it to something different. I’ll have to play around with it some more. I was trying to break up the 3 columns of the articles and the two column body copy. You usually see that sort of thing in magazine articles and newspapers. However, if I end up keeping it there, it actually looks really nice if I place the arrows on each side of the button on my iPhone.

I revamped the title with a Brioche ampersand and I think it works quite well and it tightens that up a bit. I’ve received the same feedback about it on Typophile too . With Old Standard (typeface), I’ve noticed a few inconsistencies which I contacted Typekit about. Hopefully it will get resolved immediately. I believe it’s also open source so I might be able to do it myself. I’ll have to check. Anyway, I also reduced the line-height of the paragraph text so it fits more appropriately (what was I thinking?).

Fixed the arrows to line up with the titles.

I think there’s so many inconsistencies, particularly the gaps (margins, padding and line-height) because I designed everything (minus the arrows) from within the browser where I normally use Photoshop/Illustrator to help calculate everything. What a learning experience.

Thanks again, Josh.

Oh and by the way, I made all those changes and uploaded them to a live version. You can check it out here: http://chrisburton.me/dev

chrisburton
    Participant

Also, the large gap between the paragraph text and the footer border is due to a bug in Chrome (or maybe webkit in general) from using css columns. Firefox doesn’t do this.

Solved by setting a height to the parent.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.