Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Haven’t built a website in 10 years… HELP!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

While I know my way around the internet and work as an electronic tech with computers, I am defiantly not a webmaster. Ten years ago I built a professional looking website to promoted motivational tapes for a large company of a friend using Geocities. However, back then text, different colors, pictures and links was the extent of most webpages. So aside from using the extinct Geocities page builder, a web based HTML drag and drop editor, several years ago I have no website building experience.

Recently, a few months ago, I decided to use my free time to built a website. This website will be an informative website for the repair of 4-wheelers. I will have an area of links that lead to separate pages of embedded “how to” video’s with specs and text instructions below, a forum, picture gallery, news article area, and possibly a blog are other possibilities. A site I really like the lay out and graphics of is http://www.pirate4x4.com/

My first strategy was to research and buy a software for building websites. However, I found that many web host offer free tools to build websites. I played with different hosting service tools for weeks. The only one that slightly impressive me was Wix and their flash based building tool. While it was nice I feel it had limitations. I may would of went this route but I read 100’s of complaints about bad hosting service. Upon more research I subscribed to a 2-year blue host hosting plan and bought a URL. I read and heard lots of good things about WordPress so I installed it. After playing with it for a week I uninstalled it and installed Drupal. I played with it for a week before researching and finding out that these are CMS not web building apps. I later played with Weebly, I was able to make webpages but they are basic, far less quality than Wix’s flash builder offered.

I reinstalled WordPress however I now realize I made a circle. I believe I just need a little guidance.

1. Where do I start? With a CMS or with an HTML or Flash based website building software?
    I prefer something like the old Geocities Page, however, I don’t care to be restricted to layouts and templates.
    2. How about graphics and backgrounds? Should I have pictures, logos, and graphics as my first step?
    3. If you had to guess what do you think was used to build the site http://www.pirate4x4.com/ from start to finish including the graphics, CMS(or does it even have one), and other tools used to build the site?

Thanks for you time I greatly appreciate your response.

dfogge
    Participant

if i were you (or anyone who just wants a site without having to build everything from scratch), id go to http://themeforest.net/ and have a look around.

i’m sure one of their wordpress themes will have all or most of the features you need and save you a ton of time at a fairly low cost.

they also have decent standards for what they let into the store, so if you decide to VIEW SOURCE you might learn something.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.