All Posts by Email, Once a Week

Media Temple logo

CSS-Tricks is brought to you in part by Media Temple, the web hosting that we both use and recommend.

Have you noticed that tabbed navigation and content boxes are going out of style?

• # November 3, 2012 at 2:16 pm

A few years ago, a lot of sites were using tabbed navigation. The big players, including Yahoo! and YouTube were also using tabs. But nowadays I have seen tabs being phased out and replaced with simpler navigation menus. Even Amazon.com, which was notable for using tabbed navigation, recently stopped using tabs.

Also, I have seen that back in the day, content boxes were popular. Yahoo! and MSN, and other sites basically wrap all content in the form of content boxes (which look a lot like “widgets”). Even the main article content was wrapped in a big content box. Like tabs, I also see them being phased out. Instead of content being differentiated by boxes, they were separated by dividers or even _white space_.

There is yet another trend for sites to have a background color that is white rather than grey or blue. Macy’s for example, was one of the last e-commerce sites (after Kohl’s and JCPenney) which phased out their grey background color.

I see those trends as being part of a larger, minimalist trend.

# November 3, 2012 at 4:58 pm

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

I’d agree, a couple of design magazines have pointed out the minimalistic trends in the past couple of years, *leans to the side and whispers, “plus simpler designs lend themselves to working better as responsive designs in this world of an expanding multitude of resolutions”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

There's a whole bunch of content on CSS-Tricks.

Search for Stuff   •   Browse the Archives

Get the Newsletter ... or get the RSS feed