Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Have any Linux users ever installed Arch?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

I’ve been a Linux user for about 5 years. I’m contemplating installing Arch. The reason: I only need about 5 applications. Also, it’s time for me to upgrade my Fedora distro and instead of doing that, I’d rather switch to a distro with a rolling release schedule, so I never have to do it again.

If you’ve ever used Arch, can you give me any pointers?

__
    Participant

I hear good things about it. Never tried it, though.

Next thing I’m experimenting with is Ångström (I’m getting a BBB!).

Alen
    Participant

I recently installed ElementryOS, pretty sick Linux distro. As basic as it gets without blot, super fast, Max OS look-a-like. I have it running on my Dell T110ii server with 4GB of memory, thing still burns rubber.

__
    Participant

What kind of housing does it have? Do you just pop it in an old laptop case?

It’ll fit in an altoids tin. (Heck, it’ll even fit inside some monitor cases.)

Various vendors sell cases or you can make your own. Since it’s aimed at prototyping, it’s not uncommon to leave it out, either. Eventually, I think I might like to get more of them and make a cluster.

I’ve never installed Linux on a Mac but I’m thinking about buying one.

I never have either, but I know people who have. There’s a particular dual-booting utility they all use. I’ll figure out what it is.

__
    Participant

How about NOT dual booting just installing OSX in a VM?

Where’s the OSX image coming from? (i.e., I know that in order to do that with Windows, you have to actually buy a second license. Don’t know if you’d be in the same situation.)

For $500 less, I might as well get this

Looks nice.

__
    Participant

Win [typically] comes with a recovery partition, which you can (should) copy to a flash drive. It’s OEM, though; I haven’t found a product key. I’m sure it can be done, but it’s hard to find tutorials because MS insists that a VM is not the same machine that it’s running on, and you need a new license.

I was thinking about doing this (installing linux, then running Win8 in a VM), but I eventually decided (considering how often I use windows!) that it wasn’t worth the effort.

__
    Participant

Don’t want to hijack your thread, but since we were talking about it earlier:

Black is the New Black

__
    Participant

I’m going to do whatever I feel like on it. : ) Honesty, I don’t know for sure, but I’m excited about the possibilities. It’ll end up being a home file/print server at the very least. Might make it remotely accessible. Eventually, I’ll start plugging stuff onto it, but probably not robots. I’ve got the idea of building a cluster someday.

As for Arch, might just flash that to an SD card and give it a try. I’ve got a 16GB micro laying around doing nothing.

__
    Participant

Ok so, in order to make this a file server… you would hook it up to a 1TB brick or something?

That’s the idea in my head. I have a 250GB on my desk that I don’t use for anything. If I get it working, I’ll think about buying a nice big one.

I’ve been trying to build a remote camera for awhile. Perhaps this could enhance it. I’d REALLY like to build a remote weather monitoring station.

Weather stations are common projects. I bet you could find good tutorials. I found a good video describing hooking up a camera. (Links to project code included.)

Edit:

This is the inspiration for my BeagleBone cluster idea. Someday… : )

__
    Participant

Yeah, one is a controller. It would be good (for the money) as a webserver cluster or distributed database server. Mostly I’m just interested in seeing what I could make work. Odd. I was never much into hardware, before…

__
    Participant

I REAAAAALLY want to learn C.

I know what you mean… at the same time, though, the more I learn about memory management, the more I think that a higher-level language (where you don’t have to worry about it) is a better route. I’m messing around with, and really like, Python. (Coincidentally, there is a python library for the BBB, which handles talking to the GPIOs.) C will be important if I ever decide to go all-in with hardware hacking, though.

__
    Participant

Have you taken this?

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/

loved that. I got a trial membership for PluralSight at a local meetup, and I their python videos are fantastic.

Alen
    Participant

There is free Python course from Google Developers YouTube page

http://youtu.be/tKTZoB2Vjuk

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.