Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other guide me to be the best designer !

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    amis
    Participant

Hey

I know HTML , CSS , jQuery , WordPress and little in js & PHP
    I am good web coder and worked as freelancer coder , but i love really design in PS as i love drawing but my designs in photoshop unfortunately not good to be for sale , it is little good but i want become professional and know most of tricks used in photoshop for web design

Please tell me how can i become professional in photoshop for webdesign , and also how can i manage my time as i waste alot of time for surfing the net and reading .

chrisburton
    Participant

Good question. I think finding what inspires you will help you become a more well rounded designer. Practicing will always help you improve your skills but most importantly design is a talent and not everyone has it. Eventually you will find your own sense of style that sets you apart from others.

amis
    Participant

Thanks for ur reply
    I know it is a talent but need learning especially i can draw . Sometimes I draw good logos but i can’t convert it to be good design .

do u think if i imitate any webdesign, is this stealing ? , as I sometimes need backgrounds or some tricks for inspiration web design but I can’t do as i feed it is efforts of others.

chrisburton
    Participant

That depends. Make sure to ask the person to use their content or read their license agreements. Do NOT assume, especially in this industry. There’s an enormous amount of resource sites out there for you to take advantage of for backgrounds, etc.

It’s perfectly fine to replicate a design as long as you’re not publishing on the web. Inspiration does not mean to copy from another. You can look at someone’s design and come up with something of your own from it.

For logo’s, use Illustrator. You can draw on paper, scan it to your computer and create a finished product on Illustrator.

amis
    Participant

I am very happy for discussion with you , I have been benefited from u .
    can provide me good sites or forums u advise ?

What about managing my time ? How can i invest my time ?

tobeeornot

I think plagiarism is a interesting yet difficult charge to enforce on the web. I used to work in Intellectual Property and certainly designers are within their rights to make a case against another designer for “stealing” a design but whether it will become a legal issue is another matter all together, due to the complexities and surrounding costs of enforcing these issues. In most instances, the best you can hope for is the infringing site will take a legal notice or request to change the the site design seriously.

chrisburton
    Participant

You can shut them down and have their domain stripped without spending a dime.

tobeeornot

Through what process?

chrisburton
    Participant

Their hosting provider

tobeeornot

Not sure what it is like in the US but hosting providers would not be allowed to make that call in Europe without going through a legal process and then landing in hot water themselves. Establishing burden of proof is difficult matter for a private company to make a judgement on, especially as there are so many legal factors that constitute “design” .

chrisburton
    Participant

Really? Elliot Jay Stocks had accomplished it. It was clear that someone had ripped his logo and he did in fact give proof.

Edit: Stolen EJS Logo and read the update.

tobeeornot

I really don’t know the case but I see he is from the UK. From legal point of view, though, whoever infringed “may” have a case to act against the provider if they think the decision was unfair. The moral case may be clear but the legal case is not always so.

tobeeornot

Just looking at the infringing site now vs the original. Surprised it was up held.

chrisburton
    Participant

You said you worked somewhere that handled copyright infringement? How could you say the offender has a case? It is crystal clear that he in fact infringed on images that were not his. It is a no-brainer.

Edit: Ah. You must not have seen his old site. He has redesigned it twice since.

Original: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elliotjaystocks/516412232/in/photostream
    At the bottom, this is Elliot’s old site.

tobeeornot

Not saying that the offender had a case as it certainly looks to be a clear rip-off in terms of the overall design. However, if the hosting company did withdraw the site, I doubt it was done under legal duress. Good to hear that hosting companies take a strong stance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.