Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Grunt plugin to inline the contents of a css file

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Morgan
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Is anyone aware of a Grunt plugin that takes a CSS file and inlines it into the head of the page (pre-processed)?

<head>
    <!-- from css/critical.css -->
    <style>body { background: red };</style>
    </head>

Instead of:

<head>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="css/critical.css">
    </head>

I’ve seen a couple of websites that do this, but I can’t find the name of the Grunt plugin that does it. I’m also using PostCSS, so a plugin for that would be great, too.

Cheers!

Atelierbram
    Participant

There is this grunt-copy plugin that I use for inlining CSS in a style-block. So in gruntfile.js within a “copy task” one can copy anything and rename it to something else. Like, for example, copy a prefixed and minified build/css/critical.min.css file to build/inc/critical-css.inc.

Maybe you don’t need this but anyway: a PHP-include within those style tags can output this with the.inc suffix. Or in a template language like twig:

{% if page.page_type == "post" %}<style>{% include "build/inc/critical-css.inc" %}</style>{% endif %}

Morgan
    Participant

Hi Atelierbram

I’m using Pug as my templating language. The thought to simply include the file via that didn’t even cross my mind. Thank you, it’s now working exactly how I wanted.

style(type='text/css')
        include ../../staging/css/critical.css

Thank you for your help,
    Morgan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.