Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Grid?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Attila Hajzer
    Participant

how do you set up a website with grid structure?

like sure i know how to do the photoshop mockup. but to actuially implement it, i dont know how, i think thats the real reason im havingproblems with my site.

http://attilahajzer.pcriot.com/

because everything is being floated. instead of grid like (im assuming) this website.

anyone wanna help me out on this one?

ozee

A grid typically will have a set width for a website, and then columns that include margins built into them. you can apply the grid like so:

What this does is create a generic “content” and “sidebar”. A grid the width of 8 columns, another the width of 12, and a total of 12 columns wide. This markup is based on http://960.gs/ by Nathan Smith, I recommend checking it out. It can help a lot if you are in a hurry!

ozee

I would assume so, I am by all means no wordpress pro though, I have barely touched any kind of CMS, most of the sites I design have no need for it. But I have more recently started to look into it. But it is more about setting up the css with the grid markup and then using those selectors in your normal code to align it the way you want it to. Again, I am not very savvy with WordPress, that could be a different beast entirely.

TheDoc

Don’t think about WordPress as an obstacle. I recommend everyone develop HTML Templates that are fully functional and tested before converting them over to WordPress Templates.

If you can do it in a static site, you can do it in WordPress.

ozee

Have you tried using an updated Google API instead? I see that you are using the 1.3 library, a more current and stable version is 1.4.4 or 1.4 if you prefer not to use that cache.

dryan1144
    ozee

Not that I know of, those are the two best ways. And images inside of a div would be the alternative old way of doing this for IE and older browsers. I would continue trying, it should work in wordpress if it can work in HTML, just a different way of marking it up.

TheDoc

Keep using the border-radius. No point in overloading the site with JS or images to make rounded corners work. Some users that choose to use older versions of IE will see squared corners, such is life.

ozee

I agree with doc, not everything has to look the same in every single browser. If they choose not to update to a more modern browser, so be it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.