Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other grid system feedback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    __
    Participant

Thanks!
    Those all look pretty much like it does everywhere else I’ve checked. Did you notice anything specifically different across browsers?

mobile first first pass. I tried the inline-block thing but it failed hard for nested columns

chrisburton
    Participant

The only thing I noticed right away were the margins between Chrome and Safari (OS X Yosemite). Should I have used that other link for screenshots?

__
    Participant

Found the first bug. Well, it’s not a bug, really, but it’s a problem. Spec says position:relative is meaningless on table-ish elements, so my rows and columns cannot reliably create a positioning context as intended.

(Also a weird thing happens just below the breakpoint: the .wrap stops filling the whole height of the [at-grid-row] for a while).

I can solve the breakpoint issue by making the rows block below the breakpoint. I may just live with the positioning context issue. Things that need it typically already have their own wrapper…

__
    Participant

The only thing I noticed right away were the margins between Chrome and Safari (OS X Yosemite).

extra margin, but only on the right side, in Chrome? is that what you’re seeing? is there something more? For that pen, I was mainly interested in any differences inside the dotted borders.

Did you notice anything “off” on the second (or third) pen?

chrisburton
    Participant

Ok so after taking a second look, Chrome and Safari (Mac) look the same for both versions (grid and mobile first first pass). Initially I must have had one browser not as wide as the other. Everything inside the dotted borders are mirrored.

Did you notice anything “off” on the second (or third) pen?

Wait. Was the third pen the “mobile first first pass” link?

__
    Participant
    __
    Participant

Current state. Think I fixed the breakpoint oddities.

I think I’m going to ignore the position:relative issue. Yes, it creates an edge case, but I think it will have little to no impact under planned usage. I’m writing a full demo page, which will describe usage patterns. Should be up tomorrow.

Alen
    Participant

@traq, post it already. I’m at jury duty. Need something to read.

__
    Participant

Sorry @AlenAbdula, didn’t realize demand was that high! I’ve been running errands this morning. Waiting for github pages to get set up now.

Hope your day wasn’t too bad. I know it’s late, but I’ll have something for you to read soon.

Alen
    Participant

No worries ;)

Take your time.

__
    Participant

Okay, sorry for the wait: demo page

There’s a fix I need to make for the second demo. It’ll be done soon. Enjoy, and I’m still interested in feedback on consistency across browsers (esp. IE9). Thanks!

Ilan Firsov
    Participant

IE9 Windows 7 – all hell breaks loose
    http://imgur.com/a/n4Sng

On Chrome everything looks perfectly fine

Ilan Firsov
    Participant

Sorry I did not try the pens and the next time I’ll be near a computer with ie9 is next week.
    I can try the emulator thingy in ie11 but from past experience it doesn’t work really well

__
    Participant

That’s okay.

And yes, I really am looking for “actual” IE9. Thanks again!

__
    Participant

I’m not giving up, but going back to my original version, which used inline-block. I think they both have advantages.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.