Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Graphic Design Portfolio Website, Please Critique

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Zonglars

Hi, I’m a graphic design student and I’ve recently finished a website for my portfolio. I’ve spent the last few months perfecting it (even creating my own basic CMS for the galleries), and I’d like to get some additional feedback.

http://www.dualitydesigns.ca/

First, let me explain the idea. I really have a thing for contrast and duality, hence the name Duality Designs and the half and half layout and black/white colour scheme. I also took a different approach to the portfolio pages; large thumbnails on their own rows, instead of small cropped thumbnails.

I’m open to just about any suggestions, short of a full redesign of course, and any tweaks you think might improve the overall feel or usability. If you find a glitch or typo, please let me know, but I think I’ve worked all of them out. And feel free to post any feedback on the portfolio work too if you’d like.

I’m really exited about this site, but since it’s for the public I’d like input on what you folks think it needs or doesn’t need.

PS – Not to sound cocky, but I also used my own custom typeface in the banner and nav.

noahgelman
    Participant

Everything looks pretty nice except for the gray background when you hover over a link. It kind of makes it look cheap.
    Maybe make the text gray instead?

Zonglars

Good point, also distracts a little too much; i guess it doesn’t need to be blatantly obvious that the links hovered, just a slight change.

Thanks, already changed.

Rob MacKay
    Participant

reminds me of black and white :D

Are you a good designer, or an evil designer lol

nice – I like – great idea :)

Zonglars

Thanks everyone, I’m so glad you guys like it.

I just noticed some feedback in a review topic i posted on another site. One guy recommended I include the text "HOME" on the logo in the menu so people know for sure that it links to the home page. But I’m not sure if i need it; if you hover over it the tooltip pops up saying it goes to the home page. Do you guys think I need it or not?

Zonglars

I guess you’re right, and the vast majority of visitors would be the types that surf the web a lot and have simply picked up the little standards like banner=home link.

So nobodies found any glitches or errors? tech, design or otherwise? Wow, I guess those 3 months of obsessing over every little detail paid off.

Pretty slick. I like your use of typography throughout the site. You also use a very strong grid system, which makes me happy.

I’m not sure I like the a:active property, though. Orange kind of seems out of place. I like the subtle gradient on the buttons, though.

Zonglars

a lovely deli: what orange? there’s no orange in my css, the links simply shift down 2 pixels when pressed.

wait, actually, I think it’s your browser; i never bothered to specify an active state. I’ll add that spec now.

Just tried it in FF, IE and Opera. It looks like it was Chrome.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.