Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Going To Jail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

Ahaha. Nice find, Adrian.

Erik
    Participant

Or… if ‘smart people’ stop working for them!

nixnerd
    Participant

I learned PEMDAS left to right. Never even heard of BEDMAS until today. I’m assuming the B stands for “brackets?” I’ve also heard of PEDMAS… no idea what rules go with that though. No left to right?

TL;DR Glad I’m no longer in High School.

chrisburton
    Participant

I learned PEDMAS too but had to google the acronym and BEDMAS came up. It sounded familiar.

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally.

__
    Participant

TL;DR Glad I’m no longer in High School.

…I can think of one or two situations where it might still be important in a programming career… maybe… : )

nixnerd
    Participant

…I can think of one or two situations where it might still be important in a programming career… maybe… : )

As long as you know multiplication and division come before addition and subtraction and make good use of parentheses… you’ll be fine. I make extensive use of fractions but that’s about it.

Razvan
    Participant

600 USD for downloading a movie?! That seems like a lot to me.

Is there any law that stipulates how much you have to pay if you download a movie? I mean, if you break the speed limit, it’s written in a law how much you have to pay. That IS legal. But this …

__
    Participant

This is just a private company threatening to sue you (for more) if you don’t pay. It’s extortion. As chrisburton said early on, nothing comes of these threats in most cases. But similar lawsuits have been brought; and a few have won, so there is a risk.

On a side note, I’m sure you’re all aware that “downloading” something doesn’t consist of literally picking up the file and moving it. You get a copy. Because of how the internet works (your packets are routed over a number of servers, not necessarily apparent to you), it may actually be copied anywhere from once to dozens of times. RIAA have actually argued that every single one of those “ephemeral copies” are illegal, and that they have the right to collect damages from each one. It’s absurd. It’s like shoplifting a $1 pack of gum and having to pay $1M in fines because, well, you took a lot of steps after you left the store.

nixnerd
    Participant

Antiquated business models DO NOT work on the internet. Period. These measures are stop-gaps but eventually… the entertainment industry will have to find a new way to make money. That’s probably a good thing.

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.