Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Go to and highlight text

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bern494
    Participant

Hi All

1. I don’t seem to be able to crack this at all I am developing a website that involves timed events over a period with a sub heading text of (12:30 PM Nov 22 1963) next say (12:55 PM Nov 22 1963) and so on. I would like the user/reader to be able to go to a certain time in the website (6/7 pages) via some kind of search button or go to mechanism. I have looked at google search etc but cannot fathom it out. Any pointers please. http://www.dealeyplazauk.org.uk/JFKChronology/

2. If you visit the site I would like to know how I could keep the top image inside the header because when I view it on my mac which has a large screen the image appears far over to the left? It will not work if I put it within the header group?

Any help please (relatively new to CSS and PHP)

Kind Regards
    Bernard

wolfcry911
    Participant

1. for the actual linking to the specific part of the page, just use ids on all your headings (they shouldn’t start with a number however, so you may want to use a pattern similar to #nov220215) and link to the id. As to how to implement – that’s for you to decide. Do you want a chronological slider, a scrolling nav list of all times, etc. ?

2. move the image from the body to the #container. you need to fix the top nav so that the items don’t shrink when hovered. you may want to increase line-height and/or decrease font-size (not the headings).

stevendeeds

@wolfcry911 is on the right track…
    As far as the ‘go-to’ functionality.. it’d be like this…

Jump To November 22, 02:15pm

November 22, 12:00pm

Nine Secret Service agents drinking at Pat Kirkwood's bar the "Cellar Door" in Fort Worth, Texas. Several of the women serving liquor to the agents are also strippers from Jack Ruby's Carousel Club in Dallas. (Pat Kirkwood is a licensed pilot and owns a twin-engine plane. He will fly to Mexico hours after JFK's assassination.) Bob Schieffer, night police reporter for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram remembers "... the waitresses wore underwear. That was their business attire, as it were, and people sat around on cushions on the floor."

The Carousel Club in Dallas sits across the street from the Hotel Adolphus at 13121⁄2 Commerce St., upstairs from a Delicatessen. The outdoor walls are covered with provocative photos of scantily clad burlesque dancers, offering a glimpse of what can be viewed inside for a $2 cover charge.

November 22, 2:15pm

Nine Secret Service agents drinking at Pat Kirkwood's bar the "Cellar Door" in Fort Worth, Texas. Several of the women serving liquor to the agents are also strippers from Jack Ruby's Carousel Club in Dallas. (Pat Kirkwood is a licensed pilot and owns a twin-engine plane. He will fly to Mexico hours after JFK's assassination.) Bob Schieffer, night police reporter for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram remembers "... the waitresses wore underwear. That was their business attire, as it were, and people sat around on cushions on the floor."

The Carousel Club in Dallas sits across the street from the Hotel Adolphus at 13121⁄2 Commerce St., upstairs from a Delicatessen. The outdoor walls are covered with provocative photos of scantily clad burlesque dancers, offering a glimpse of what can be viewed inside for a $2 cover charge.

Clicking on the jump to will make it ‘jump-to’ that id..

as far as the highlighting… well, that’d be done in javascript, and would be probably an onClick function.

Hope this helps!

-All good things-

wolfcry911
    Participant

That’s not quite right stevendeeds. You’re using the older name attribute instead of an id. And there’s no need for the anchor inside the heading – just give the heading the id and the anchor above (in your code) with that id href will jump the user to the appropriate heading. More like this:

Jump To November 22, 02:15pm

November 22, 12:00pm

November 22, 2:15pm

Bern494
    Participant

Thank you so much for the replies this website is the best!

I have rectified no 2 image in header, will update site later.

But as far as the search facility goes I did not want any links from Nav but a separate search box such as a combo box. If it means making all the times and dates given IDs. The facility would be for researchers who want a specific time and date to go to. Perhaps in hindsight I do not need any highlighting of text.

regards
    Bernard

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.