Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Git, time management software, AND collaberative documentation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    fooman
    Participant

At my workplace we have started using Git among us developers. It took me a few months to get things on track and to get everyone to see the benefits of using as VCS such as Git, but it’s finally taken hold. Cool.

We also use a time-tracking tool called Klok that hooks into our cashflow software (the name of it escapes me, but it’s fairly well-known). So our manager uses Klok for that reason.

My boss came up with an idea to have a roll-your-own kind of project management software, but I kinda shot it down because it seemed rather redundant and that it would cause more time wasted than any benefit. It wasn’t a horrible idea, because we would allow clients to login and file issues and reports, but in the end, it would require us to basically have to keep track of all of our projects THREE times.

So my question is, how do you guys work where you keep a log of your projects in a VCS, and again time management software, AND possibly more type of software depending on your needs. Is there any way to do this time-tracking and progress-tracking ONCE rather than input it into 2+ software systems?

__
    Participant

Does the time management thing really require you to track the whole project again? If management wants to track productivity, it seems you could just keep a log of commits (possibly including “end-of-day checkpoint” commits if a particular task isn’t actually completed) associated with each time period. But I know there might be reasons this wouldn’t be practical in your case (i.e., for your company).

Likewise, if you wanted “project management” software, you wouldn’t necessarily have to duplicate (triplicate) everything. Write something that does the jobs you still lack (e.g., client issues, requests, specs, timelines), and point at git when it comes to the actual project.

If you get a ready-made all-in-one solution, it’s very likely to be a similar collection of tools, just tied together with a matching GUI. That part is not a bad thing, but it would have the disadvantage of scrapping your existing process and tools (personally, I would never approve of moving away from git).

fooman
    Participant

The time management tool has a notes are that we are to write what we did… basically just reiterating what I, as a developer, added to my commit message(s).

And the client tracking tool was suggested to basically be what git does but without the backups and revisions, etc. Basically it’d show outstanding issues and the the progress made on the issues. But once again, it’s a cool idea but it is more of the same where you need to open yet ANOTHER tool and enter in the same information.

__
    Participant

And the client tracking tool was suggested to basically be what git does but without the backups and revisions, etc.

Don’t quite follow. git doesn’t track clients or issues…?

The time management tool has a notes are that we are to write what we did… basically just reiterating what I, as a developer, added to my commit message(s).

See, that’s no biggie, IMO. Admittedly, I am not required to track my time. But I bet it could be whittled down to a copy+paste. Maybe even further, with a bit of bash or python.

what about using the Github API?

not a bad idea. If you don’t mind being tied to a third party. I don’t see them going anywhere anytime soon, though.

fooman
    Participant

Is there a way to get a compiled list of commits so I can easily send them to my PM?
    Or is there a decent workflow with git so someone can view commits without having to create a repo and clone/pull anything? I’m sure that’s rather newb, but I gots to learn!!

__
    Participant

Here’s the git book. : )

Also, this s/o answer demonstrates some options usage.

If your manager doesn’t want to pull anything, they can just login and check the remote over SSL.

fooman
    Participant

Golden! That S/O answer gives me an idea on how to automate :D

Beauty!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.