Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Getting off my feet?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Roxon

Dear community,

I work for a local web design business during the summer, but during the year I can’t make work commitments because of school. So, to make some cash during this chunk in the year, I decided to do freelance work on http://www.vworker.com/. I registered December 28, 2008 and still have not received one job. Right now, I’m working on a website/portfolio to get more people to hire me. I posted “bids” on projects for about a month and never got accepted, so I stopped. Now that I need some spending money for the year, I’m ready to try again.

Do you have any ideas to help promote me? The main reason I’ve not been given any jobs is because I have no ratings. All I need is one or two $10 jobs. Does anyone have work, or just ideas for me? They would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Roxon

Well since I work for this company, I’m legally obliged to not pick up customers in this area, so that’s not really an option. I was thinking along the lines of promoting myself via forums, etc.

Rob MacKay
    Participant

Yea I have to say I would avoid these – there is no way you can make the time you put in actually pay, even if you charge a cheap rate. I think it would actually be better doing a job free if you want to get some portfolio items…

Roxon

So you suggest that rather have customers contact me with what they want done?

Rob MacKay
    Participant

I would get yourself spread around a bit – find out who’s around, see if there are any friends of family you could help out and do it that way. Set up your own site too (if you have not already…) then people will be able to find you as well. But no one will just find you, if you want the work you need to get looking for it, and you certainly wont get any jobs via that site if you are not actively looking for one as to say.

After a while word of mouth should keep you in enough business… :)

Roxon

Yeah actually, I put it up yesterday because I need webspace…the loading time is terrible, will need to be fixed, I didn’t realize because it was on a local webserver for testing.

http://elephantlorry.com/

Roxon

Thanks a lot guys, will work on that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.