Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Garage Menu Location

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    tommer
    Participant

Anyone know why this garage menu location works fine in my browser (IE8) but seems to be randomly to the left in most other browsers??

http://www.tr-built.com/custom-aservices.htm

Thanks in advance for any possible help . . .

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Because of this.

tommer
    Participant

OK, thanks, – – but for whatever reason, – – that’s what puts it in the right place for me.

What am I doing wrong??

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

When you display a position to the left and give it a negative margin, it will go to the left.
    Try

left; 90px;
    tommer
    Participant

Thanks CW, – – will do . . .

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Works in webkit, firefox, IE 8 & 9

tommer
    Participant

Thanks, you definitely have me on the right track, – – but now I have another question.

When I ‘preview’ it in IE8 (and most other browsers) it looks and centers fine.

And yet when I bring it up on my own site (also IE8), – – it’s pushed all the way against the right border.

I guess I can live with it as long as it’s working on everyone else’s, – – but any idea why this would be??

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

What do you mean when you bring it up on your own site?

Screenshot both. The page that centers and the page that does not.

tommer
    Participant

Sorry, don’t even know how to do a screenshot.

I’m saying when I preview it in ‘expression web’ it shows well in IE8, – – but when I bring up the actual page it’s on, on my own site, – – it’s pushed off to the right . . .

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

To be honest i’m not sure why it’s different for you.

tommer
    Participant

OK, CW, either way, – – thanks for the tremendous help, – – at least it’s workin’ everywhere else.

I’ll have to try and figure it out.

tommer
    Participant

Thanks, Virtual, – – I just talked to several friends on the phone, both with IE8, – – the page shows the menu centered on their computers, – – but it still shows ‘off the the right’ on mine (which is also IE8).

clokey2k
    Participant

Maybe it’s an IE8 add-on messing with your layout (haven’t a clue how). Or maybe the browser viewport is too small / large – try resizing your browser a few different ways?

tommer
    Participant

Great catch, clokey, – – you appear to be right.

Somehow both my browser viewport size and my ‘site view’ itself seem to be squeezed.

I re-sized the viewport window OK, – – but the (overall) layout still appears to be squeezed slightly in width (maybe about 20 pixels).

I’ll have to delve into it further after work today.

Thanks again, all . . .

wd2b

Tommer,

Sorry, not so much a help note, but a quick question.

You’ve built a very impressive home page there. Do you use scripts to aid all the roll-over image or plain CSS? Thanks in advance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.