Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Full Screen Layout with iframe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    hoven002

Hello,

How can you make with CSS a layout with no tables that is full screen like my image?
    I hope someone can help me?

Regards,
    Kenneth

Rob MacKay
    Participant

noooooooooooooooooooooo *falls to knees*

The iframe is in my eyes part of the Axis of Evil in the web design world, the other 2 are table layouts and IE…

Please don’t use iframes, I know it seems like a great idea, but its really not…

Just use divs…

have a read of this :)

http://www.tjkdesign.com/articles/one_h … ayouts.asp

rebelbwb

Funny you asked this – I’ve got two clients right now basically asking the same thing – uggggghhhh….One won’t budge on the iframe. They basically want a box/frame that centers in the screen like this

adventureracega.com

Yet they want it bigger. The problem other than the iframe usage is they or really I would prefer it not be so big as to present a vert page scroll. Setting aside 800 res monitor users what is an optimum height to be used for all other monitor resolutions or even at a minimum 1024 to where it doesn’t present a page scroll? Is the best thing to use percentage instead of px?

Also, is there another SEO friendly way of doing an iframe other than what’s represented in that URL?

Rob MacKay
    Participant
    "rebelbwb" wrote:
    Funny you asked this – I’ve got two clients right now basically asking the same thing – uggggghhhh….One won’t budge on the iframe. They basically want a box/frame that centers in the screen like this

adventureracega.com

Yet they want it bigger. The problem other than the iframe usage is they or really I would prefer it not be so big as to present a vert page scroll. Setting aside 800 res monitor users what is an optimum height to be used for all other monitor resolutions or even at a minimum 1024 to where it doesn’t present a page scroll? Is the best thing to use percentage instead of px?

You just need to be firm with them then and explain the issues, and that iframes are gone – no one uses them (except that site who also uses table layouts.. nuff said)

"rebelbwb" wrote:
    Also, is there another SEO friendly way of doing an iframe other than what’s represented in that URL?

simply no. the problem with an iframe is its not really there, its just a window into another page. So google just sees the iframe code, and then probably weeps a little as I did…

jrgfreelance

You can get the same results of an iframe using a div. Use something like this in your css for the div styling:

width: 400px; height: 400px; overflow: auto;

Looks exactly the same as an iframe but is SEO-friendly. That would essentially create a box 400×400 with a scroll bar for any text that exceeds 400px in height.

I haven’t used the technique in a while, but I know I have used it in the past and it worked. Good luck!

atlhuck
    Participant

There are possibly limited uses for iFrames that are legit.. one example is that I maintain an intranet site for my company as well as a handy site for quick access to things like software license admin interfaces, common resource links, some critical files and calendar data, etc. The later.. calendar data, is accessed via our Exchange Web Access Public Folders. In MS Exchange you can specify hyperlinks to public folder data. What we did is to slip an iframe into the page that referes to the calendar, showing live scheduling data – at a glance.

The iFrame, of course, does not allow for any stylistic control in this case, but then again, it’s not a necessity.

Just a thought…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.